Cannonball Run - Coast to Coast in 31 hours

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by Ozzie, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Two men claim they broke 'The Cannonball Run' record by driving from New York to California in just over 30 hours.

Video here.

2. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

I could see it, depending on traffic and LEOs locations, gas milege, etc. I made it from sunny Cally to NC in under 43 with a .... cough, cough... Dodge Colt Lol! I planned on stopping in El Paso Tx, but after eating, stretching the legs, wanted to dive some more, then the sun came up and I was like crap... can't sleep now. About a case of Mt. Dews and Vivarin (sp?) I was in SC before the sun was going down. Called pops and told him where I was and he chewed my arse out... Lol! Still drove to NC just so I could say I did it. Now... I have trouble driving to work without falling asleep!

3. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

Damm that pushing it :thumb:

4. Stretch

Ya... that's what they tell me... oh wait,... you mean the time?!:oops:

5. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

DRIVING TO WORK, chit you can't even drop the kids off at the pool without falling asleep!:pleasantry:

6. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

31 hours!!!! yikes, it took me four friggin days to get from cali to florida!!!! then again i was driving my old 91' nissan truck that did 60 with a tail wind!!! hahahaha

7. Stretch

Good thing you had a tail wind... being that old... you sure it wasn't a Datsun?

8. Stretch

Ya... the excitement has gone out of my job... you guys aren't as young, firm and vivid as you used to be...

9. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I did about the same going from Columbus, OH to Seattle... in a VW diesel rabbit. My Average speed for the trip was right at 85 mph. Took the northern route. If you kept your foot flat on the floor and there wasn't any head wind it would do about 110. Fuel stops, one solid 4 hour nap and a few minutes here and there on the side of the road. 37 hours. Radar detector, CB radio and police scanner. Felt like I was flying a jet fighter. Crap, that was back in the 70's I think.

10. Stretch

yep, except for the "smokies in the air" a CB beats a radar detector any day most of the time.

11. NetNathan

NetNathan Not the Momma

I did Memphis, TN to San Diego, CA in 28 hours. I only pulled off the road for snacks and 1 time to nap. I got pulled over for 90 in a 65 in New Mexico and only got a warning!

12. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

ok gray beard....... don't you have to have the orderly change your depends?????:thumb:

13. Stretch

That all Depends on what she looks like... don't make me smack you with my cain!

14. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

The scanner was strictly for airplanes. Pre-programmed the frequencies for each state I was going through. Since they're way up there you can pick them up a LONG ways ahead of time. True on the CB (I drove a semi cross country for about 9 years some time in my past). Especially on the highway outside of cities. Radar detector definitely saved me once coming down the mountains into seattle. I did get some comments and side talk about how THAT car shouldn't be going that fast... haha, I had bilstien race struts (that eventually ended up cracking the strut towers), sway bars, fancy tires and the car was made in Germany assembled in PA. Come to think of it that car shouldn't have been going that fast...