Cam-only results: 12.49@ 108 mph (stock exhaust)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patrick G, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G New Member

The results are in. After the CMR tune, the Jeep was much happier at the track.

[​IMG]

Just to recap what has been done to the Jeep:
    Frank Racing Inc. in Houston recently intalled their Little Boy camshaft which is 214/218 .565/.555 114LSA +4 advance. Also added was their ported intake manifold. These mods dropped my best ET from a 13.01 @ 103.50 mph to 12.49 @ 107.97. This gain in power is even more impressive due to the fact that my Jeep still runs bone stock exhaust (stock manifolds, stock cats, stock catback).

2. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Where do you feel it's pulling it's best in the rpm ranges? This is very interesting news. Those times beat some head/cam cars out right now with full exhausts. lol. Congrats on the nice times!

3. Patrick G

Patrick G New Member

It pulls best around 4000-5000 rpm. This was the whole idea of spec'ing a cam like this...mid-range torque was maximized. Most cammed 6.1s make hero numbers above 6000 rpm, but they are often lacking with power under the curve. My cammed setup makes tons of power under the curve. After viewing my logs, I'm convinced this is the right direction to go as the majority of the 1/4 mile is spent between 4400-5500 rpm. My finish line rpm was 4978 rpm.

4. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Congrats Patrick sounded like you guys were having fun when we were on the phone last night. Did you notice any difference with the ABS fuse pulled? Probably not with your mods but didn't hurt to try. After riding in GCulver Frank Racing Cammed Jeep (he has the hellfire cam) seems the Jeeps like what they are making with a few adjustments. Again this only proves what works for the LX 6.1 does not apply to the Jeep SRT. I guess you heard John BTLFED pulled off an 11.4 last night this is gonna throw the LX guys in an even bigger tizzy

5. Patrick G

Patrick G New Member

Thanks Wade. Yes, we pulled the ABS fuse, but our times did not improve.

Here's the launch video of the 12.49 run. Mean, but quiet:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI93Ai4d4dI[/media]

6. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Excellent runs Patrick.

And you sir, are correct. Most folks seem to forget about under the curve power.

With our anchors, the undercurve is where we need it the most. And you just proved that. hehe

Great job.

7. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

Now thats a launch, whats great about having the track to yourself you just racing the clock so your reaction time does not matter you can sit there and wait and go when your ready nice run

8. gculver

gculver New Member

Nice times...I guess I will be going to the track soon!...

GC

9. Fastest H-Town Realtor

Fastest H-Town Realtor New Member

Great time, but seriously, mix in a cup of coffee to wake you up at the light! :thumb:

10. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

So I'm wondering what this Frank's Littleboy cam is like compared to something like the Road Warrior from PPP or the SRT Max (not the Hell) cam from Stu at Inertia. I'm seriously considering this route as well and bypassing the heads and headers. Is it rather tame at idle? I can't watch YouTube until I get home from work lol..it's blocked...bastards.

11. JEEP_SRT8

JEEP_SRT8 Life is good!

nice times brother...:thumb:

12. Patrick G

Patrick G New Member

Yeah, I've gotten a bunch of razzing over the lazy light, but with nobody in the other lane most of the nigth, we spent more time stalling at different launch rpm looking for the perfect combo. The reaction times were all over the board as a result. When somebody was in the next lane, the reaction times were in the .520s (just like my old bracket racing days). :rockon:

13. Uaesrt

Uaesrt New Member

Nice times dude.

14. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

so are we going to see other cams being produced now that put some power in that under curve range you guys think?

this is why it pays to not buy everything right away (or in other words...be poor)...i get to see what works best haha...:happy:

15. Patrick G

Patrick G New Member

You can expect to see Frank Racing producing more cams like this. High RPM cams may make the sexy dyno number above 6000 rpm, but since the motor spends the majority of its time between 4500-5500 rpm in a 1/4 mile drag race, cams that maximize the power in this area will make the vehicles go quicker down the track.

Just log a 1/4 mile run sometime and record the number of seconds the motor spends above 5500 rpm. It's not very much in comparison to 4500-5500 rpm. Mid-range is where it's all about, esepecially for a heavy Jeep.

16. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

well done patrick!!!! i have always been a big proponent of mid range grunt!!! it is where i spend most of my driving......

17. SilveRT8

SilveRT8 New Member

Well said!
    This cam seems ideal for the Jeep, I'm also glad to hear that Frank Racing is developping a High velocity head for for the Jeep. Keep us informed if you can.
    Claude

18. sgtstanko

sgtstanko Want to go FASTER!!!

Agreed. That is why in our heads we dont install bigger valves or even offer them. There is no point, it is all just sales "smoke and mirrors". As are cams with big numbers. The streetability completely goes away. We see this all the time.

19. CentralTexHemi

CentralTexHemi PUNISHER

now I'm anxious to see what GCulver can pull off before it gets hot with his FRI Hellfire Cam, come on Greg get to the track

20. Hotwheels588

Hotwheels588 New Member

As mentioned on the Cherokee forums Patrick, great numbers. PM me next time you go to the track, I got to see this thing in person!

The cam was only $430?