C&D Tire Test helped me buy my next tire!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cvp33, Jul 14, 2009.

1. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Car and Driver just had a great tire test article pitting "cheap tires" against the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. One tire in particular I've been dying to try is the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110. Long freaking name for what turns out to be a pretty damn strong tire. The Hankook's came in second in the test to Dunlop Star Spec's, which don't come in our size.
    Here's some highlights (winner bolded):

Dry Autocross time

* Hankook 59.8 seconds
    * Michelin 60.1 seconds

Dry Braking 50-0mph

* Hankook 81.1 feet
    * Michelin 81.9 feet

Wet Autocross time

* Hankook 61.0 seconds
    * Michelin 60.7 seconds

Wet Braking 50-0mph

* Hankook 85.1 feet
    * Michelin 87.0 feet

Sound Level 50mph dBA

* Hankook 61
    * Michelin 62

Dry Skid Pad

* Hankook .93g
    * Michelin .92g

Wet Skid Pad

* Hankook .87g
    * Michelin .88g

I must say I'm pretty impressed with these results, with the Hankooks only losing in two events and just barely. Now I must add that these were for 225/45/17 tires so there's no promise that these results would translate to better performance on our cars. However, it should be noted that the Hankooks also beat the Nitto Invo, Falken Azenis RT-615 (nearly a pure track tire), Yokohama S.Drive, BFGoodrich G-Force KDW, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 and the Kumho Ecsta XS.

There's also a $50 rebate on a set right now through August 31st, so I'm definitely going to try a set. The only question now is 255/45 or 275/35 which are the only two sizes I would mount.

Also if you're an ebayer (I'm addicted) you can do a little work and save some bucks using ebay bucks, bing rebate (formerly live search).

255/45/20
    List Price $700 set shipped (discount tire on ebay)
    Bing Search rebate -$56
    Ebay Bucks 2% -$14
    Hankook Rebate -$50
    Net $580!!!! Not too bad

I also have the PayPal credit card and have a $25 discount to apply so I'm actually looking at $555.

The 275/35/20's work out to $670 delivered.

2. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

good find n nice right up.

3. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

So Chris, you don't intend on giving the NT05's or RE-11's a try? I'd like to try one of those out, but, I'm not sure I can justify the cost vs. benefit ratio.

Good find on the Hanooks!

4. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

I was leaning towards the NT05's after reading everyone's posts, but frankly I want to try something that no ones done. Like when the Vred's first hit. The price just makes the testing easier is all. Unfortunately it won't be an apples to apples test as we don't have the same size available. I'd really like to compare 275/40's. Whatever happens good or bad, I'll be sure to post. But I won't be able to account for the loss in treadwith going back to a 255/45. I may ultimately go with the 275/35's, although shorter, they are 10.9" wide.

5. SweetRide

SweetRide U can call me Johanness

I still haven't had a better tire than the Vreds. Hands down the winner for price/performance

6. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I really would like to see what people think of the Hankooks....They peaked my interest way back when I first saw them come out...

7. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Well I just got some more great news. The company that we all buy our Toyo's from on ebay also carries these Hankooks. Now LOOK at this deal!!!!!

255/45/20 size

4 tires $560 + $80 Shipping = $640

Total $640
    Bing Cashback $51.20
    Ebay 2% rebate $12.80
    Hankook Rebate - $50
    Net Cost = $526

That's pretty damned cheap for a set of tires for our cars!

8. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Hell yeah it is....VERY NICE!

9. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

i read that same article. im glad im not the only one who thinks BFGs are sloppy when there limits have been exceeded. Mine melted and corded.

10. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Just ordered mine from Discount Tire Direct. They'll be here next week. Probably going to be about 2 months until I mount them though. These fkn toyo's last forever. I guess that's not a bad thing.

11. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Yea it is. Means they're too hard.

12. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

I use to think that too, but really they have incredible grip. I had the Vredesteins, F1's, Falken 452's, RSA and none of those have the straightline grip of the Toyo's......none. The Vred's and the F'1's do have better lateral grip but only barely. You'd only notice on a road course of if you're completely nuts and drive like that everyday. I'm just sayin'.....................

13. MGNM4CE

MGNM4CE New Member

I ran Vredesteins back in the late '70s when they were an inexpensive, relatively sticky, long lasting tire that few people knew about. Ran my first set of Michelins shortly thereafter, and have been bowing to the Michelin god ever since. Stick great, last forever. Pricey, though, and not available in our sizes. So...

been running Toyos - Proxes +4 on the MSRT, Proxes S/T on the 2WD V8 Explorer - and like 'em a lot. Cheap, work well, hold up well.

Hankooks - ran a set of Ventus HRIIs on a PT Cruiser. Had two blowouts! In 35+ years and a gazillion miles of driving, I've never had a blowout previous to these. The only thing I'd use Hankooks for is maybe a tire swing. Curious to hear how yours hold up.

14. SweetRide

SweetRide U can call me Johanness

lol

15. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Hankooks arrived Tuesday. Or so I'm told. They're sitting in my neighbor's garage. I can't wait to see them in person. I just got back from NY, NY. Great time, great weather in da' city. Got me a $35 Rolex on Canal Street, er wait, Rolexx. Looks nice.

16. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

Update?

17. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

They suck. End of story. Really not even worth a write up but here' goes:

Lateral Grip - They suck.
    Off the line grip - They suck.
    Highway driving - Pretty quiet but they still suck.

Seriously guys, I drove these things for about 2,000 miles and they scared the shit out of me. Absolutely no communication back to the driver. They'd squeal to signal you were losing grip, but then just completely let go. I'd rank these the worst tires I've ever had on the car, even worse than RSA's. AVOID!

18. srt8-in-largo

srt8-in-largo Full Access Member

WOW! Thanks, was worth a shot though.