BWoody Thermo Intake Spacer Issue....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LegMaker, Mar 16, 2010.

1. budoboy

budoboy Full Access Member

:whistle:

I'll see if it helps or hurts (or probably does nothing) tonight at the track

2. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

still working on it kyle.....:bigwink:

good luck.... interested to see how you fare......:)

3. budoboy

I pulled my intake manifold this morning and one my BWoody spacers was warped at only one opening. I don't think it was affecting performance though. I'm probably going to replace them with something else to avoid any future problems.

4. King Savage

King Savage Nasty Canasta

Cam yanked my intake manifold off a few weeks ago with the same result...a little deformation. The inside edge of a couple runners appeared to separating in layers also...not sure why.

I went back to the pink paper-looking gaskets.

5. budoboy

Yeah, I think long term they are all going to go bad. I only had maybe 10 or 15K on those gaskets.

I'm trying the Stack phenolic ones.

6. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Been using the red/pink gaskets for the last 4 years with out any issues.....pretty sure I won't be changing up.

7. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

I don't think I've seen the red/pink gaskets. Where can you pick some up at?

8. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Indy made them and PPP used to sell them.....not sure where to get them now. I hoarded about 5 sets for myself and I just put the last set on the new motor.

9. King Savage

Yup. My set were from the first set of Indy heads I bought through PPP...I've been packing mine around since 2007.

The BWoody ones I had never leaked that I know of but man they seemed really hard...especially when you're only torqueing the intake to 15 ft/lbs or whatever that is. I don't think they fair well under heat as mine appeared to be coming apart in layers to a small degree.

10. Paxton

Paxton Addicted to speed

I know mine were alot worse than you guys, but I think it shows mine weren't an isolated incident. I'll stay with the stock gaskets.

11. sgtstanko

sgtstanko Want to go FASTER!!!

If you "soak" the stock gasket with "red" spray adhesive and then "pin" them to the underside of the manifold you will not get oil "migrating" to the intake ports. Before the adhesive dries lay the manifold straight down and torque it.

Or you could get these.....lol....I had these made and saw 100 degree difference between the head and manifold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I have been doing research about this gasket and came upon this old thread.......seems my gasket is bad as oil came out around the intake when I changed it yesterday. I assume my gaskets are stock but since I bought the car used I dont know.

Anyway, since I am going to replace the gasket what is the general consensous about this gaskets? Do they actually work? No more leak issues reported? Does anyone know what ftlbs torque should be used when tightening the bolts?.....

13. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

don't do them......... swapped mine out after they totally distorted.........

14. King Savage

Ditto Larry...

15. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

There are maybe 6 members here and the other forums that I trust their opinion....2 just just spoke....OEM gaskets it is....:bye:

16. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

FWIW Larry, I have the spacers on my application, but only for the past 10K miles or so. Haven't looked at them, but yea you certainly do not need them.

There have been many members who had the spacers and had the same issue...

17. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

Yeah Ron, Maureen is one of the six I mentioned...since she told you I dont need them..........

18. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Larry, nothing better than the stock gasket for sealing the heads to the manifold. If you want to cool your manifold and reduce heat soak, remove the under hood liner and duct work. This will allow air flow directly over the manifold and also help keep overall under hood temps down while in motion. The only downside is if you drive in the rain, your engine bay cleaning will be more frequent.

IIRC, the torque spec on the manifold bolts is pretty light at about 16-20 lb/ft. I don't personally get the torque wrench when doing this, I just snug them all in sequence (start in the middle on both sides and work out back and forth) then come back for a final 1/4 to 1/2 turn of torque using the same sequence. Be sure to reconnect the brake booster hose and MAP sensor connector in the rear of the manifold.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  19. 1FST4DR

1FST4DR Supporting Vendor

Dave webber over at modern muscle had Cometic make some badass intake gaskets for him specifically. I think they are around $40 I have used them on some big boost builds and they hold up
    great.

Best of luck..