Buttonwillow 6/8

Discussion in 'Autocross/Road Racing' started by DadsSRT8, Jun 1, 2008.

1. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

2. QWKSRT

QWKSRT New Member

I am so bummed, been preparing for some road racing and want to go really bad. Will be in Vegas next weekend, please contact me on the next one! :cry:

3. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

i would so love to drive out there!!!
    but im looking at travel for my company again.
    and they always tell me last minute, like a day in advance. :no:

4. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Well just got back tonight from Buttonwillow.. needless to say it was a great time... this event was put on by NASA http://www.nasaproracing.com//.. and was 2 day event .. Saturday they had a 6 hr endurance race with multiple classes/divisions.... it was pretty cool to watch.. On Sunday they had 4 different HPDE driving sections, open track and one other event that I do not recall the name of right now....

typically the sessions were 20 minutes long and lucky for us in HPDE 1 & 2 we got in a total of 5 sessions.. that's right boys and girls that is 100 minutes of scaring the crap out of yourself on a road course. 4 out of the five sessions I had an instructor with me.. as this is the NASA does it when you are new to their organization... the rack was configured in what they refer to as figure 13,

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/ go to track maps

I bought some pics and will try to get them up loaded... I was the only Magnum (or LX platform) vehicle at the venue... got a lot of looks as to why I was there... After I passed a Porsche GT2/3 (non turbo model, good car inexperienced driver...) 3 different times.... he asked what I had in there... well you know the response.. some 2x4's, ladder,

I got a C5 Vette, BMW E30, Lancer, and some other.. but than a Focus and WRX come out and slap me around like a little boy.. but they had a roll cages, window nets,, no interior components to speak of other than a seat and a steering wheel and some pedals, not too mention they were trailered in...

Only real fatality was a Mustang who lost it big time in the esses and his recovery efforts though valiant were not rewarded and he parked it hard up on top of a wall just before the pit entry..

Well time for some new brakes.. Nittos held up well, Diablo broad power band really let me drive the car with the gas pedal for the most part, strut brace seem to keep the front end planted pretty well.. unless I was really in way way to hot and had the car all upset...

5. leadfoot

leadfoot New Member

Hey there Ken!

I told you I'd drop by.

Sunday was the ULTIMATE TRACK CAR CHALLENGE Set up by Grassroots Motorsports on CarDomain and hosted by NASA

Remember me saying to you that you were one of the fastest cars out there after the third session. You represented out SRT community well out there.:worthy:

Careful with the use of the fatality please. There was no fatality at our event this weekend. Just someone without the skills to keep his 'stang:stretcher: corraled when it tryed to jump out of the trail, but the driver was fine.

:gotpics:

6. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Lead.. glad you made it here.. my bad... on the "fatality".. poor choice of words... but as you know the stang was the only one in our group who did a major off course and could not come back for the last session..

Yeah did get the pics from the track photo guy.. why are you yelling at me so much...:cry::grin::grin:

Your SRT & you are real quick as well.. thank you for your "instruction" if it was not for your guidance.. I would have not done as well.. I owe you big time.. looking forward to the next event and hopefully improving.. and maybe trying the BMW.. but the BMW does not get there as fast or make as much noise.. he he ... maybe some day I will make it to level 2..

Lead is being quite modest.. he is one of the instructors and can really fly .. and has one very quick SRT4 riding in his car made my neck hurt

loved your comment "you paid to use the track so use all of it.." wise advice as it seemed that between the corners and magic mt I could really fly when I hit the marks you told me about (several times).. sorry about the one slight panic brake when I lost the line and my concentration... but I did manage to keep it on the track.. Thanks Mike I hope we can get some more of your input at the next meeting..

7. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Ok here are some pics from Buttonwillow from last weekend... again BIG time thank you to leadfoot... he was the one guiding me through the course.. and sharing valuable tips and tricks to find the best line...

30 turns most which are complex, off camber, decreasing radius, w/some wide sweepers, up hill and downhill along with some esses thrown in...

hey leadfoot how did you like driving the Maggie????

I have alot more pics but need to either compess or put in photo bucket acct..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  8. DadsSRT8

DadsSRT8 Crusin in Mag

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008