Business Website & Religious Sections

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion Discussion' started by Kevan, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

PREFACE: I am ***not*** anti-religious or anything of that sort.

I came across a business that I'd definitely like to do some work with but upon checking out their site, they seem to push their religious beliefs pretty damn hard.
    As I stated at the top of this post, I'm not anti-religious. But I am anti-shove-it-in-your-face-every-way-you-can. I'm fearful that each business dealing will result in something non-business related.
    I'm there to do WORK. I'm not there to be converted (unless it's to the Metric system. LOL).

I'm just wondering if a business website is an appropriate place to put such things.
    Would you shy away from a business that practiced such things and go with their competitor?
    Even if each part/component/service was slightly more expensive?

The other thing that got me thinking was that this is a pretty decent sized company (more than 200 employees). I *doubt* that ALL of their employees share their same views. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Should religious views be saved for personal online sites/areas and not posted on business sites?

(BTW- Don't bother asking for the site. I will not divulge it.)

2. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

i wouldnt deal with them and im fairly religious. it just shows a total lack of professionalism to me. religion and politics should NEVER be discussed to a client, especially a POTENTIAL client.

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I'm with you Kevan.

Religion or any other NON business related items should NOT be brought to a businesses customers OR their employees. Well, unless it is in a Church or the Christian Stores. lol

4. SRT8bby

SRT8bby Full Access Member

Very unprofessional IMO.

You must divulge!!!! j/k

5. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

I thought about this a bunch last night, and I haven't changed my opinion, but I did think of something else:

If you are one that has strong religious beliefs for a specific faith, does something like that on a website 'seal the deal' for you / make you want to shop there or do business with them?

I'm curious if the converse works to anyone's advantage.

6. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

just bad business practice. there is two major things you should never enter into a business environment, religion and politics. the end.

7. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

I did business with a couple of companies proudly displaying the Jesus was a fisherman fish logo. Got ripped off by both. I think they try to give you a false sense of security by making you feel they are good Christians.

8. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

I guess I will be the differing opinion.
    As long as it isn't a public institution, and is a private company, the owners have every right to expess their beliefs how they wish...it will probably gain them alot of business from people that share the beliefs, and possibly drive away others. Obviously, I dont think they should push it down someones throat as was mentioned, but if is just a comment on a web page or sign in the store, I really dont see the issue. We have freedom of religion and expression in this country and if that is how they want to run their business, that is their choice. As long as it doesn't cross the line to where they are discriminating or not serving customers of other religions/beliefs I don't see an issue. I guess it must be working or they wouldn't still be in business.

9. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

everyone can stay in business for what its worth. companies that want to do well dont partake in this type of behavior. as ive said above, its a really, really, really bad business move.

this is a free country and you are entitled to your beliefs whatever they are, but at the end of the day, you def wont attract more business than you push away.

10. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

Not saying I do this, my point is just that they have the right to just like you have the right to not purchase from a company that does that.
    Like Hal said unfortunately sometimes people take advantage of it and portray themselves as something that they are not which is even worse.
    Personally I would always rather deal w/ someone that I know has some belief system at their core, but unfortunately a few words on a website can't tell me whether that is true or not. Whether or not it is a good business practice or not I have to give anyone credit that puts their beleifs out there like that...as you can see in this thread it is a risky proposition in todays society. Whether or not you agree w their beliefs doensnt matter, I have to give credit to anyone that feels that strongly about something to potentially turn away business because they feel so passionately about something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  11. markus

i walked into a candle store with my girlfriend and the owner said "here buy these candles (which didnt smell good at all), theyre not petrolium based so your not funding Bush's war."
    i walked out
    fukkin hippie

12. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

LOL now thats funny!

13. markus

hah, i was tempted to "light her up" HIYYO[​IMG]

14. Kevan

Kevan SRT-10 Owner

We're not talking about a fish symbol or a simple cross (or any other religious symbol) in a front window.

I'm talking about a massive section of their business website dedicated to sharing their religious beliefs.
    -------------------------------

Markus- you should go back there and toss her this:

Not all oil comes from Iraq. A lot of it actually comes from right here in the good ol' U.S. of A.
    She was probably too busy cleaning bongs or using her mouth for 'free love' during geography class, but Alaska, Texas, and dozens of other places in the U.S. happen to be packed full of oil that's pulled from our own soil every day.
    So she's promoting commerce outside of the U.S., and that would mean she's *against* the U.S.A., attempting to further weaken our economy.
    Thus, she's obviously a terrorist.

:grin:

15. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

i got 50 she has her candles made in china.

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

its un professional but as long as it is a private business...it is their right to do it if they choose...

they will just lose business by doing so...

17. markus

haha good one bro, never put it into perspective like that!
    or i could go back in there wearing my dress blue bravo's, rip her jaw off and stomp it through her chest cavity and then tell her about how 5yrs ago today i lost 18 of my best friends who died to protect her right to say dumb shit that she doesnt even rate to think about becaue all she cares about is her dirty hair and her pachulie oil then burn the goddam place down, piss on the ashes and put up a gun store where her candle store was and hang her charred remains in my front window and use her skull as my own personal "catch can"

18. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

lol, ah dont we all wish shit like that to happen to hippies?

19. markus

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
    if i said what i was really thinkin then about 90% of you would stop talking to me altogether!

20. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Viper Power!

I hate when people push their religious beliefs on me. I would never do business with a company that used their web site as a way to push their religious views. Who knows, maybe there are enough religious zealots to make their business successful using this tactic. I am pretty sure those who agree with thier views would be very loyal customers. Either way, just as they have the right to choose what they put on their web site, I have a right to choose to do business elsewhere and that is exactly what I would do.