Bud (NA) vs. Momo (Vortech) Race Videos

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Bud, Sep 9, 2008.

1. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Dave... I mean, Einstein, check your spelling! Potpourri.

Potpurrie is a Mexican dish made from stray cats.

I'm 35 and can't afford it either! LMAO!

2. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Ya riiiiiiight.... most 35 year olds have hair!

3. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

I'm not an expert on blowers but I have had some experience with them and I think one thing to keep in mind here (and I've said this before in other threads) is that you're dealing with a "centrifugal" type of superchager and they build more power the higher they rev, unlike a roots or screw type which build max boost immediately. Maybe that's why you're seeing the results you are. I think Jason walks you pretty good in that third vid Rick, that was from what, 60?

4. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

yeah 60 to what 100...cause that freeway run on friday night bud claims i put 6-7 on him in a blink. Its a monster on the freeway...is it good from getting someone out of the hole hell no...I hate to say this because in every motor ive built up until now I have always gone for low end grunt. Then again I didnt have traction issues...But as it sits I seem to get more runs from 60 to 130 then i do at stoplights...

5. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

John...NOT trying discount anything from the I-5 runs...just trying to shed some light on the reality of it (seriously). But I think the third video with Jason and I was MORE accurate than the other night and this is what I told Jason WRT why he only pulled about 4 cars on me in the video in which he had the inside lane of a sweeper: <responding to Jason in a PM> "As far as the I-5 runs. I was in drive every time we ran. You were in autostick at about 5k rpms right? If that the case, that would explain it. My car took that split second to downshift...and you were in the boost zone...AND you did get the jump! That's the only explanation I have...LOL!" Jason said we didn't get up to 120...so for arguments sake we'll say it was from 60-110mph...and he did get a slight jump again. I think I see a trend here with my reaction time...LOL.

I did the same thing with you on I-5. I never was in autostick...I was really just wanting to see you guys pull...and I did!

Race #3: 60mph-120mph...Jason gets a slight jump and has the inside lane.
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnf9fL5KzM

6. Speedlogix-Mikey

Speedlogix-Mikey SpeedlogiX Staff

7. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

Mikey, I KNOW the Vortech is a good S/C. But the reality is unless you forge and add boost to our 4200lb cars, it's not going to produce the results that "most" would expect. Maybe expectations are too high. I don't know....I just know what's been in front of my eyes the past couple months and in the videos. I'll post up a video of my N/A car...oh wait, I already did, and it was about 1.5 tenths behind a blown car on low boost and stock internals.

8. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

I love S trims, but I am a huge fan of T and YSI *fap fap fap*

9. Speedlogix-Mikey

YSi ftw :D

I would like a T Trim one of these days at least......but I guess I still need to get a S Trim though lmao!!

10. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Gotta start somewhere right? S is the best place to start from if you ask me ;) anything less would be uncivilized...:thongue2:

11. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

Rick the first run you and I did i was in drive as well and didnt get into 2nd i got into 3rd...then the next run you left on me and I did get into second but still walked past you right ;) Also dont forget heat has more detrimental effects on the blown apps now. I know we are all working towards getting fact out there. Dont worry man Ill still help you get whats right for you!

As far as the drag racing runs these kits are for sure good for 1/4 mile runs...unfortunately you need to buy a good LSD and half shafts to really get a good launch. If you could launch these closer to better boost levels i bet they could fly...hell right now at 4 grand in first i spin till it short shifts second...good tires/half shafts/LSD makes a much faster car :) oh yeah and a forged bottom end to allow more tuning!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. Speedlogix-Mikey

I hear ya, and I know you weren't saying they were bad, I just posted those to show what they could do from a dig at a track and not on a street where results can vary (not that at a track the results can vary, but its a much better controlled environment) :)

:ilovesrtc:

For sure :) No need for a t trim on a stock 04 2v block LOL Couldn't use near the power that thing would give me lol

13. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

A friend of mine out here ran a T on his 02 he made good power about 400 IIRC at like 8 or 9 psi on a stock bottomed GT, I was amazed that it lasted as long as it did with the paper weights they call pistons.

14. Speedlogix-Mikey

where is the fun in that when you can get close 400 out of a S Trim and stock block though LOL :D

Its all in the tune with the 4.6s. The magic number looks around 400-420, then the none forged stuff just gets in the way lmao!

15. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

Also these kits would preform much better if from a dig we could brake stall them up to where they are boosting a little. I am not getting even 2psi until 3300...Imagine an LX launching at 3000 with a good converter/lsd/halfshats/DR's...i bet the driveshaft rubbers fall out...

16. Cheatek

Rick, also remember a supercharger takes some engine power to run (unlike a turbo which runs off the exhaust). What did I see somewhere ... to run the Vortech it takes aprox 100 hp from the motor?? I thought that's what I read somewhere, can't remember now, regardless the actual numbers the science is what's important ... basically in a centrifugal application until the blower spins up and starts building boost and making power you're actually gonna be down on power, or not experience as much as you think you should.

I know on my 5.0 Mustang that without the blower the motor was done by 5K, 5500 max, but with the Paxton it spins forever and pulls harder and harder the more it revs. I've set the limiter to 6200 cause I'd go past that for sure the way the blower makes the motor feel so strong on top. Maybe that's why from the lower speeds Jason doesn't pull on you so much, his motor is using power to spin up the blower while yours is using it to spin the wheels!!

17. sdcarguy

sdcarguy A bit off

cheatek your 100% right. At 1500 im making 0 boost and literally seeing 3 degrees of timing with their tune and actually hindering the motor. There is the issue. I am hoping Rick will go out and drive jasons car a bit and practice a good launch from a break stand at about 2000 or so and roll out instead of stabbing the gas. This will allow the motor to be closer to its range and get the benefit from part throttle timing until he floors it. I think its still to much for the rear end seeing as it looses traction at 4000.

18. Cheatek

First off John call me Scott bro!! Second, your car is soooooooooooooooo bad azz man, I LOVE it!! 3rd, thanks, I like to contribute a little now and then instead of just hoing it up all the time, lol! Anyway, from watching those vids and hearing what Rick was saying I thought I'd put my 2 cents in, I think that's what's going on. I know once I put the Paxton on my Mustang the powerband TOTALLY changed, I had very little hp down low but a TON higher up, that's the basic characteristics of a cent. blower.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  19. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Wow! One of my threads still lives... and... it stayed on topic! The planets MUST be aligned!

20. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Dave,

This just flat out is a LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At fourteen I could afford a Jergens bottle and Playboy. I was done in under a second several times..........just like Drew now a days:crying:

I just found it PORKCHOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thongue2::thongue2::thongue2: