Blasted Boost Leaks!

Discussion in 'GT Cruisers' started by StillANeon, Feb 18, 2014.

1. StillANeon

StillANeon Full Access Member

Soooo I have had 2 cases of boost leak testing on my days off and when the weather was nice.

Install my trusty tester and plug this random thing. (Factory boost leak I take it?)
    [​IMG]
    Leak right away.. plastic line has no home!
    [​IMG]
    Which is connected to this:
    [​IMG]

Taken off
    [​IMG]

New vacuum line
    [​IMG]

Restested... Now the damn surgevalve is leaking. Luckily I had a new surgevalve! See its not seated properly
    [​IMG]
    Off it goes:
    [​IMG]
    Shiny new one installed!
    [​IMG]
    No more leaks there!

But then I hear another hissing.... and where I gave up:
    [​IMG]
    Solenoid closest to the firewall. Had to take the bracket off so I could get it off and listen/feel where it was hissing from. The very bottom port.. (Atmosphere) I can take that filter thing off and blow through it. So I am curious why it is leaking there even if the rubber is kind of bad there.. wouldn't it always leak? But my SRT-4 didn't leak and I could blow through it too. I have done multiple boost leak tests but I never have seen it leak from there before. Bad solenoid? Have my head scratching with this one. Maybe car needs to be on the on position or something?

Any help?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. nevinsrt

nevinsrt Getaway driver for hire

Where you stuck your ratchet to plug your hole for the leak. If you remember i said i used a bolt and zip tie to get rid of that boost leak. Later i used a 3 way and got rid of that 4 way.

My #2 solenoid never leaked just like on the neon. might replace it or change WGA and go off PCM control or drive around then retest later and see if it closes.

How does the car feel?

3. StillANeon

No i didn't know about what you did to get rid of it. That is cool it won't hurt anything. I also heard that the 06^ PT GT's didn't even have that factory boost leak. It has something to do with the charcoal canister and preventing it from filling with fuel or something? But if they got rid of it in 06+ I am sure it wasn't needed. I just got to get rid of that conduit and track all of my lines. I am sure there are some that are not needed and do nothing. Its just a bit different then the SRT-4.

I have 3 solenoids I bought from a SRT-4. They have different part numbers though from the PT GT's... But the ohms is on the top and they are the same just in different spots which is odd. Not sure if they will work or not I need to check the part numbers. I know they change their part numbers a lot. Could be the same thing and hopefully it is. Just never seen it leak there before.

Car feels pretty good. It had NGK Platinum plugs in it gapped at .047.
    I took those out and put in NGK 4306 gapped at .040 and new Bosch wires. I just need to get the boost leaks fixed and off to the dyno for a baseline.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. nevinsrt

Yeah i remember there were a few lines that were just there that made no sense. i deleted them with no issues and the car ran alot better.

Platinum!!! :hypno:

When we got her car it had Champions gapped at .040. Believe they were the stockers because they even had mopar wires. we threw in 4306s and gapped them at 35. a few trial and errors of higher and lower and the car ened up liking a 32 gap. Every car is different so try it. I know my neon likes a 28-30 gap. if i go to a 32 it coughs.

5. StillANeon

Good to know.
    Yeah..at first I thought they were Iridiums, but then I looked up the part number and they were Platinums. Car seemed to run fine at that gap but didn't like the upper RPMs, I could feel the power drop off a bit more. Probably due to KR. They looked fine when I took them out too though. I need to take my AE gauge out of my disabled SRT-4 and hook it up to the PT and see if I get any KR and how much boost I am running at WOT.

Oh come to think of it, I think I might of had my battery disconnected when I did the boost leak test.... That would of probably caused that solenoid to stay open maybe..I don't know. Will re-test this weekend. Going to take the spare and hardware out too. :)

6. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

I'm loving all this info on the PT Cruiser GTs; just bought one with 75,xxx miles and learning what I can about it!

7. StillANeon

8. StillANeon

Okay now back to the blasted boost leaks!
    I swapped out the solenoid that was leaking out of the atmosphere port for one that came off a SRT-4 with the same part number. It did not LEAK! :) :) So it was the solenoid the entire time. Never cut one open so I am not sure what caused it to leak.

I then went through MOST of all the vacuum lines and looked to see what I could delete. Mainly the ones associated with the "factory boost leak" The clump attached to the intake that you have to cap when doing a boost leak test.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gone!
    [​IMG]
    Capped this just to keep crap from getting in. This did not leak boost even when open.

[​IMG]
    Always wondered where the TIP solenoid was on the PT GT. I need that!

[​IMG]
    I laughed when I saw that giant 3 way T thing at the top. Crazy how long the vacuum/boost lines are on these cars since the solenoid is so far away. It looks clean though I will give it that.

[​IMG]
    Not sure what that plastic vacuum line is that goes straight down to some T's. Anyone know? I am guessing for cruise control or something? Its almost impossible to access them due to the location. Luckily none of them were leaking.

[​IMG]
    I basically only need the grey line. That works in conjuction with the surge valve. So that thick black line you see pictured that goes straight up got taken out, but I looped it straight up to the black/green checkvalve thingy.

After all this I re-tested and I have a boost leak somewhere, I just don't know where the hell it is. I listened almost everywhere but I cannot find it. I am thinking somwehre internally on the turbo? I checked the lower and upper pressure pipes. They were all good. Even the one that is connected to the bottom of the turbo. I snugged that up well. So I am not sure where the boost is going!

I took my AE scan gauge out of my SRT-4 and hooked that up. I hit like 9.6-10.5lbs then it goes up to 11.5lbs and back down, then up again. and down. It would go down when I got KR. I only got 1-1.5kr but that seems crazy for such low boost on 91 with NO ETHANOL!

Really put me in a bad mood. This is the 3rd week I have been trying to find all the boost leaks and now it is cold again. I just want to be able to pressurize my system and watch it just trickle down like it does on my SRT-4. I was meaning to put a check valve from my SRT between my PCV and IM. But there was little to no air coming out of the drivers side breather...
    Blahhhhh

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  9. nevinsrt

Its been years so i can't tell you where all the lines go unless i was actually there. But what your posting is what i had deleted also. I ran a boost gauge off im not sure which line but i coppied the same factory location from the neon. Boost pressure from the manual gauge vs scangauge was different and lower. knock was the same if that helps. I never went off pressure from the scanguage in both cars.

When your doing your tests are you using soapy water in a squirt bottle along with your listening?

10. StillANeon

Awww good point. From the scan gauge it is reading at the intake manifold/MAP sensor I believe. Which is what the motor is seeing. A boost gauge reads pretty early in the system. Air density, temp, elevation can alter the boost output. That's good to know about the KR.

Yes I had soapy water, I need to spray the heck out of it next time. Doesn't help I have a small compressor so I have to refill it every time I test it and then turn it off. I have the tester with the gauge on it. It bleeds down pretty fast and hard to even hit 15 psi on the gauge so its hard to find out where it is coming from. Sounds like its coming from the turbo area. I never did check the factory WGA... It feels like 1 degree out right now with the windchill and ice everywhere. Going to get around 9 inches of snow supposedly. Record lows ever for the Kansas City area. Can't do much car stuff in this crap. :(

11. nevinsrt

Yeah i have a little compressor that i gave up on and bought an air tank and just go to the gas station and fill up and it is alot quiter and easier to hear then a running pump LOL. Doesnt hurt that i got it for 50% off at autozone and paid like $10 and since i had rewards credit i didnt pay anything for it. LOL. I hear you on the cold weather. 1 deg is wind chill is still riding weather LOL

12. StillANeon

Gorgeous day today! Going to run another boost leak test on the PT and find this thing! Going to spray the hell out of everything. I know its coming from the turbo area.
    Hopefully it has nothing to do with re-doing the vacuum lines.

Edit:
    Well I went out there and did it quite a few times. No luck. It is actually coming from the front. I was assuming it was the lower intake manifold was leaking. But I sprayed the hell out of it with soapy water. No luck. Then It seemed to be on the passenger side front near thermostat housing. Injector o-rings werent leaking. So I am officially stumped. Could be something internally in the motor. IDK. Wehn driving a car going WOT the boost is going to the motor of course, so areas during a boost leak test are not a leak when going WOT if its in the motor somewhere. Car seems to run great, so whatever.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014