***BEWARE Kook's header gaskets****

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by budoboy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. budoboy

budoboy Full Access Member

I just had new Kook's long-tube headers installed on my SRT8 Charger yesterday with the aluminum gaskets provided by Kooks. High temp sealant was used on both sides per instructions and locking ARP header bolts ($70) were used as an extra precaution against leaks.

I drive it to my tuner (SVS in Sacramento) yesterday and he did a smoke check on the headers as he had problems tuning two other SRT8s with Kooks headers. In those cases he found the Kooks-provided gaskets were not sealing. He switched to OEM exhaust manifold gaskets and had no further problems.

The tuner found one of my headers were leaking like a sieve at the gasket.

I telephoned Josh at HHP and he told me he doesn't use the Kook's header gaskets either because they don't work and often blow out shortly after install. This will cause the car to run roughly.

He told me he also uses the OEM exhaust manifold gaskets because he had to eat replacement costs on several sets of Kooks gaskets.

My installer put on the headers while the heads were out of the car for significant time savings while doing a head/cam install. I am now going to have OEM gaskets swapped in for around $600 in labor (estimated) plus the gaskets (relatively cheap).

No one told me that this was an issue (I wish I had known) and Josh said Kook's had changed their gaskets (for the worse) in the last year. Please use the OEM gaskets and save yourself a bucket of money!!!!!!

I called Kook's and left an angry message which I don't they'll reply to. My opinion of their company had greatly diminished because of this. My installer also said their O2 sensors took an hour to make fit as well. In addition to this I was shorted a bolt for the midpipes and one of the headers was bent at the collector end from the factory (Kooks box was perfectly intact and not dented).

What pisses me off is that you think these guys would know enough about headers to either make a gasket worth a damn or just suggest the OEM ones. I'm sure they are aware of the problem.

2. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

Nice post Jeff. This is the exact reason I get on the forums, to learn stuff like this. If I ever get Kooks headers I'll be sure to get new stock OEM gaskets. If that's what Josh says, I'm sold.

3. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

Wow, sorry to hear. I did use the OEM gaskets, BUT I didn't use the Locking Bolts because I was told the factory ones work well enough. Something tells me I should have though.

4. Paxton

Paxton Addicted to speed

I just ordered new Kooks headers myself from HHP. I'll make sure to talk with Josh about using the OEM gaskets since HHP is doing the install in a couple of weeks. I'm just like you on this one....I never heard anything about issues with the supplied header gaskets from Kooks.

5. NYCSRTATE

NYCSRTATE Maximus Want 2 Go Fastius

I went thru hell my JGC SRT8 after installing the Kooks headers with the gaskets they supplied. I had the gaskets redone 3 times and after that Kooks finally put the OEM gaskets back in.

To anyone thinking of doing headers, junk the gaskets they give you and use the OEM ones

6. Paxton

Paxton Addicted to speed

The more I think about this issue with the Kooks supplied gaskets the more it doesn't make any f'in sense. The headers are over $1500 dollars so why can't they supply a decent gasket??? For the money they cost they should supply the best gasket money can buy IMO!!!

7. NYCSRTATE

Thats what I said after they replaced then 3 times.

8. HEMISFEAR

It makes absolutely no sense to me either. For shame!!

9. budoboy

Yeah, I'm still angry about this. I got the headers for $1500 and they supply a part they should know by now doesn't work almost 100% of the time. OEM gaskets aren't expensive. You think that'd be an easy solution.

10. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

I am glad I switched to American racing headers

11. sgtstanko

sgtstanko Want to go FASTER!!!

OLD NEWS. The Jeep guys went through this something awful. We learned that the stock gaskets are the best.....bar none!

12. budoboy

Too bad this old news wasn't publicized enough that I didn't make the same mistake. I thought I was on top of things.

Also if this is old news why are Kooks still providing crappy gaskets that don't work and cause people problems? I just sent Kooks a link to one of the threads I made so they could see all the head nodding and shaking going on.

13. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

It was publicized..........just was so long ago people forgot.

14. HEMISFEAR

Any negative info about using the factory bolts? I hope not lol.

15. nyc_srt8

nyc_srt8 I AM LEGEND

Factory bolts are best. I've put headers on 3 times and reused the stock bolts with them never backing out. Save your money reuse stock bolts. They do more than a great job. Even if you don't like reusing them you can purchase stock bolts for $10-$15 for a set.

16. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

But still, Jeff or anyone else shouldn't have to find out this way. If Kooks knows this and it's been such a loooooooooong time they should offer the right gaskets by now. I'm with Jeff, I'd be pissed!

17. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

i have 1 important question.are aftermarket long tube headers really worth $ 1,500.00? The stock ''srt'' headers are pretty good.

18. budoboy

Probably not in my opinion, especially when they have to be installed twice due to crappy gaskets.

19. nyc_srt8

nyc_srt8 I AM LEGEND

Yes if you crack into the motor (heads, cam, etc) but if not then NO. Stock shorters do a great job on a stock to mildly modded car.

20. NYCSRTATE

Dont let the gaskets sway you guys, KOOKS makes IMHO the best headers on the market. If you dont want to use there gaskets get the OEM ones problem solved, will a $10 gasket really sway you not to get the headers?

Seriously considering them for my Charger SRT8.