Best CAI (Cold Air Intake)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MotherMopar, Nov 28, 2007.

1. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Here's the thread. Speak you minds and post actual results... and opinions on sound.

Which is best?

2. GotStroke?

GotStroke? Banned

BWoody has a new Charger CAI that has shown impressive gains. Their Jeep CAI regularly tests as the best on the market with over 400 sold to date.

3. Trojan

Trojan Trillions Bro! Right on!

So far the AirHammer has kicked ass for me, But today we started fabricating a new CAI at HoP racing and its looking real promising, we dyno tested several options today and learned from some good data. Tomorrow the first prototype will be finished and installed, Friday it will be track tested. Results to come.

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

The Mopar CAI looks nice and sounds wonderful. Not sure if it does anything since no one has included it in the comparison tests. It does have a metal tube and IAT climbs quickly at a stop. Probably also due to a not so good heatshield from the engine bay. Did I say it sounds wonderful? Wish someone would include it in a comparison test (preferably against the AFE stage II which it is similar to).

5. Trojan

Trojan Trillions Bro! Right on!

I ran it for a minute, Wasnt impressed, See theres a fan that blows hot air right where the friggin intake filter is, why the f*ck I dont no, Thru testing the IAT sensor will pull timing if its to hot. well duh! move it the f*ck out of there. The PCM will pull timing when that biaaaaatch gets hotter then say 100 degrees. So moving the iat and the filter location will do wonders! The car wants more air! period and cooler air is all the better.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. Mighty Whitey

Mighty Whitey suicide machine

Does nothing makes sound from the egine louder.

7. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

[​IMG]

I have the AFE. Paid 259 shipped and it has a significantly deeper sound to it than the factory setup...I "thought" it pulls harder up top...who knows. What I do know is when I show the bay to someone, it looks like a fricken bazooka there and a lot of people go, "WOW! LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING"!!!...and then I pop the hood, and I'll show em the AFE....get the exact same response! lol

8. HEMISFEAR

HEMISFEAR Ur Friendly Canadian

I've always like this next pic of the Afe II I saw some time ago at the OC, and then a pic of the AirHammer below....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. TALON

TALON SRTV8

You can't beat the sound of a AirHammer, and the looks are bad a$$ too.

[​IMG]

Ken

10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

I have owned several CAIs including the one currently on your car...:bigwink:....IMO..the K&N is junk..DUB looks good but has a small filter....The Mopar sounds great and has a large filter....the AFE sounds great and has a monster filter & air tube................my advice..keep the one you have as none are worth the cost of changing.....and your wife aint gonna let you anyway..:tooth:

11. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

CAI research on SRT8s over on lxforums showed the ONLY 2 brands that added HP were AFE and the Airhammer (which is really an overpriced metal copy of the AFE). So if you really want power in and LX SRT8 CAI, its AFE for $260 or AirHammer for around $450-500. If you want bling under the hood, get whichever one you like the look of.

12. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I just got the hammer because it looks so much better and has "proven" gains...cant speak about it since i didnt get it yet...

13. Cheatek

Cheatek SRT once, SRT always

I have the Mopar cai too Jason and love the look and sound. I had it first and then added the Mopar catback and noticed it sounded even better (I wonder if they were engineered together?). I agree with TNVIPER, probably not worth changing to an AFE or Air Hammer for the small gains but I do wonder about AIT increases after long driving with that metal tube. Heatsoak sucks. :sad: I'm keeping mine though, just love the look too much!!

14. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Oh, I'm not changing nothing. I started this thread because the Connection is the only forum (was the only forum) without a CAI thread. Plus, Rick pondered getting the AFE.

15. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Airhammer sound from my car:

http://www.svtime.com/magnum/AIRHAMMER/take2/AIRHAMMER_6.1.mp3
    http://www.svtime.com/magnum/AIRHAMMER/take2/AIRHAMMER_6.1-2.mp3

When I was shopping for a CAI, my general understanding was that performance gains and differences between the different intakes on performance alone was negligible, so I went with what looked and sounded best to me, which was the Airhammer. I've had it nearly 10 months and no issues with performance and it really opened up my engine so that the wonderful sound of the zoomers seems to be in THX surround now instead of just coming from the rear. Ultimately, you just gotta shop around and decide on what you can afford and what you like.

16. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

oooooooooooo tam that was good stuff :woot:

17. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

Hammer and AFE seem to be the top two. I went with the AFE due to the non-metal tube.... I put it on while my car was on the dyno. Before and after, same engine temps, etc, 11 RWHP gained.

18. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

Keep an eye out for the results here, people. You'll see it on SRT/C first. I think this is gonna make a lot of folks sit up and pay attention.

19. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

well oz, it has my attention!!!! love my mopar cai only for its looks and the fact it is airbrushed to match the rest of my engine compartment!!! hahaha
    [​IMG]

20. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Never get tired of seeing that pic...

I've always seen the "FLXC" but got lost looking back at the flames. That's a Harley model right?