battery going dead

Discussion in 'SRT Product Line General Discussion' started by Tony N., Jan 31, 2010.

1. Tony N.

Tony N. New Member

srt8 magnum 2006,

when the car sits for 3 or 4 weeks the battery goes dead is it because of computer system or security system always running.When I go to jump it the battery will charge up again.I am wondering if something is grounded ? what is the best battery for a srt8 engine ( dodge,interstate or optima gel)

tony n.

2. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Optima Red Top. I believe the part number is R134?? Or R34?? You can get them at Napa. And yeah, mine on my '06 started doing that not too long ago. I feel ya.

Oh, and uh. You oughtta stick around this place. Lots of great people, lots of great info, and some damn cool cars. Welcome to the Connection dude. :D

3. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

there is always a draw on the battery. thats what drains them.

4. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I just replaced my battery. I have an 06 as well. You and I are doing better than most. lol Most have had to replace the battery after only 3 years...

The Optima won't fit accurately, but the OEM safety strap should keep it from sliding???

I bought a nice 6 year from O'Reilly's.

Oh, and welcome to the "C"...

5. SRTLUVR

SRTLUVR Detailing "Go-to" Guy

Yeah. Milan has the Optima, and it's a near perfect fit. All he did was tighten that bitch down with the strap. And no issues. I almost went that route myself.

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Diehard Platinum P-2. Better fit. Maybe as good or better than the Optima (I have this currently installed in my '06 Magnum). It's just a bit shorter so the bottom clamp doesn't catch it but the strap works just fine. I think the "+" and "-" posts are at the opposite ends? but the cables are long enough. Maybe they're at the same ends but outboard instead of inboard? Anyway, no modifications needed. I think rumor has it they're made by Optima for Sears. Bit on the pricey side at $190 but I got a cool DieHard hat for free with it.
    Diehard Platinum P-2
    Group 65 | 5006
    CCA: 930
    RC: 135
    AH: 75

Careful with the Optima fit. I don't think those Charger guys have to worry about the vertical clearance of that cargo deck the Magnums have over the battery tray.

7. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

i did as well, much better battery than the optimas as we had a long discussion in another thread....its around here somewhere, im just too lazy to find it.

8. dry lakes wheel man

dry lakes wheel man Full Access Member

Yup...just had mine die two days ago.....Went to the dealer and bought a replacement for $142.00 plus tax....

9. NOTPAID4

NOTPAID4 Platinum Supporting Member

Welcome from a FOUR MAGNUM family in North Carolina. I have been very lucky ~ "KNOCK ON WOOD" ~ STILL have the original batteries in all FOUR of our magnums... 2 05 R/Ts, one 06 SXT and my 06 SRT! *FINGERS CROSSED*