Bad Luck with Vortech Supercharger

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by chargd08, Nov 30, 2009.

1. chargd08

chargd08 New Member

I'm so tired of the problems. About 1 year ago I got a Vortech Supercharger installed by Vortech (R&D). After 4 months with the supercharger, my car wouldn't start. I found out I blew the fuse in the boost-a-pump so I put a new one in. Vortech said that the fuse had probably rattled loose and so it caused it to short out. 4 months later it was blowing fuses practically every time I drove the car. I called Vortech and they said that MSD has a replacement boost-a-pump. Apparantely, the first ones installed (R&D) had problems with them, so they upgraded the unit. Since Vortech installed mine, I asked if they could replace it, but for some reason they couldn't replace mine because they were to busy, so it cost me $250 to get it done. So I get the new one and had it installed 2 weeks ago. Today, I finally decide to drive my car and it shut-off while I was driving. Same exact symptoms as before, but now I cant change the damn fuse because the new MSD unit doesnt have one. Im so sick of this. Now, I have to take my car back to the shop to figure out what is wrong. I have had nothing but bad luck with this Vortech Supercharger. I wish Vortech was a little more helpful after buying their product. They sure were super nice when they wanted to use my car for R&D.:furious::furious::furious:

2. markus

markus Silver Supporting Members

sorry to hear about your problems, but it sounds like it's vortech the company, not the product causing you problems. the msd b-a-p's are known to be problematic. not to try and tell you to spend more money, but kenne bell makes a really good b-a-p. have you considered replacing the msd altogether?

3. Mighty Noid

Mighty Noid Need bigger cam and bette

upgrade the power cable... I think that they used a 10 or 12 gauge power cable... the power is that the wire is getting hot and popping your fuse... go to a 8 gauge wire and it should solve your issue...

4. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

If the BAP is such a PITA you can go with a different brand....

I have the Kenne Bell BAP and It has been really good and gives me some adjustibility...and more umph than the MSD....

And I dont wanna sound like a douche or a Vortech cheerleader...but if your an R&D Vehicle....you are gonna have issues regardles of what you are R&D'ing...just the way it works....

5. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

yup.

6. vinnysrt8

vinnysrt8 Full Access Member

i have a kennebell booster pump in my jeep i only did 70 miles so far and its working goo.d

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

the KB is a good unit...and from everything i hear... much more reliable than the MSD

8. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

ok, the old MSD (like mine lol) was NEVER meant to work on a returnless system. It does work, but because of the higher amps our system requires and the too small gauge wiring from the MSD renders it a PITA. I rewired my MSD (external only) several times before I cracked that think open and rewired with thicker gauged wire. No issues since.

Now, the new MSD, which is digital is designed (so I am told) for returnless systems.

Kenne Bell's is great. But isn't it amp limited to 40???

Now, the shop that installed the new MSD for the OP did not add a fusable link on the power lead? Shame on them. Even if the new MSD didn't come with one, they should have added any way. JMO... Kind of like adding an amplifier to the sound system with out adding fusable link or power distro box.

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Yeah the KB is a 40 amp but it was my understanding that the MSD was limited to a 30amp....I am not sure cause i didnt look at it but is the MSD adjustable? I know that with the KB i can up the amperage as i choose.

and I have nothing bad to say about MSD....as you said...it was originally fitting a square peg to a round hole lol

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Yes, the MSD is adjustable. I am pretty sure mine maxes out at 60amp, but I could be wrong. hahahaha

I think both are good products, but like you said, pounding a round block into a square hole isn't such a great idea. lol

11. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Chargd08, where are you located? I'm in San Diego and we had 6 Vortech R&D cars down here. 3 of them have had boost-a-pump problems. The most recent one received the new digital MSD boost-a-pump from Vortech. If you're in the San Diego area, get in touch with MOL from Show and Performance he has worked on all of the Vortech R&D cars down here.

12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

MSD's tech site says their BAP is not made for returnless fuel systems as in yours and mine...had the same problem with the MSD I had....it runs hot because it is constantly boosting, even at idle...the PCM is fighting it to keep the fuel pressure correct....I switched to a Kenne Bell and no problems...box barely gets warm...

13. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

The MSD boost-a-pump included with the Vortech kit boost based on manifold pressure, so its not boosting fuel pressure at idle. It raises fuel pressure only under boost. I've drive my car with the BAP disconnected without any AFR issuses (while under vacuum).

14. YoungMedic23

YoungMedic23 Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

I threw away my msd and went KB

Vortech R&D here too

15. MOL

MOL SHOW & PERFORMANCE

i have replaced many of the og b-a-ps for the local r&d group. with the latest design i have not seen any problems yet. i also install a jumper harness so that if it blows the b-a-p you can get it home on the pump. just let me know if there is anything i can do to help.

16. MoePar

MoePar New Member

I have a KB BAP and had the same exact issues withit blowing fuses and melting wires, etc. They finally rewired it directly to the battery, all new wiring, with it's own fuse. That solved the problem.

17. chargd08

chargd08 New Member

Well I had Stack Performance look at my car again and it looks like the MSD BAP is bad again. Im so tired of this bs and the worse part about it is I have to keep paying for it. Vortech does not stand by their products which I believe is bad business. I have had this problem from the beggining. I guess thats what you get when you let Vortech use your car for R&D. Im sorry, but this product is just not worth the headaches. If anyone is considering getting a Vortech Supercharger, think twice. They do not stand by their product one bit. Once you buy it, consider your self on your own(screwed). Im so glad the guys at Stack Performance have been working with me and HELPING me out.

18. Mighty Noid

Vortech doesn't make that part... it is MSD... have you tried to contact them about a warranty on there BAD piece?

19. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

MSD won't cover it under warranty as the BAP was not designed for a returnless fuel system.

Like I said in a previous post, upgrade the small 16 guage wire to a 10. I haven't had a problem since. My BAP has been on since August of 06.

20. Mighty Noid

Ron.... I would have thought that this guy would have told Ryan at Stacked to upgrade the wire...

If they have a 30 or 40 amp fuse on this BAP... and using a 16 gauge wire... then that is just stupid.... that wire is going to get so hot and melt the wire and pop a fuse all the time... it could even catch on fire...

Upgrade the wire to a 10 or 8 gauge wire and all your problems should go away...