Add me to the list of blown motors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cvp33, Jun 13, 2009.

1. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

wtf

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. hemi_SRT8

hemi_SRT8 Village Idiot

That sucks! Didn't you just get a ProCharger put on?

3. Mains

Mains Pobody's Nerfect

Dude that stinks! Dude I think everyone on this site can related to having a blown motor, so whoever rips on you and says "I told you so" can lick a fat sack of ball hair IMO.

There are so many factors that can attribute to the failure. Especially how premature of a failure you have had. Keep us updated on the progress of the rebuild :)

4. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Yes, 10 days ago.

Thanks. I deleted my rant until my shop tears the motor down. I broke rule #1, DFWYDD. Don't F*** with your daily driver. This car has been great to me and I'm just sick about this.

5. HEMI911

HEMI911 Platinum Supporting Member

I feel your pain brother, I hope it all works out.

6. Bud

Bud GG EVO IX MR

I'm sorry to hear about this Chris. Do you have another car, bike, or something to get you back and forth to work? I hope you get the car up and running soon...and without costing you anything! - Rick

7. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Sorry for the pain buddy.

This is not an I told you so, but you can still kick me in the nuts Chris, because I like it.

Our stock pistons do not discriminate. They've colapsed for every Supercharger Mfg. there is, and they will continue to do so. Anyone putting a supercharger on a 6.1 should at least do a forged rotating assembly IMHO, if not, do H/C and N2O.

GSM was in the forfront of this. They just did it before everyone else did. So the old excuse of not having tuning didn't really apply. Not defending them, just stating a fact.

The reason is the top ring land of .10 inch on a cast piston, and some tuning issues that are being discussed here elsewhere. Two much cylinder pressure, and it collapses. It would be cheaper to put the forged rotating assembly in 1st, and it would save money in the long run.
    Some are lucky, but pretty much anyone with a SC and stock pistons is on borrowed time.

8. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

Removed my post.

9. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Sorry to hear this brotha. I "Feel" your pain.

10. greatone61

greatone61 Full Access Member

Agreed with you Hal. But Cam is working on an experiment that you may be interested in.

Sorry to hear that man, have you decided what route you are going to take?

11. HalV48

HalV48 They Call Me Patron

Just got off the phone with Cam. Interesting theory, but he said there are no guarantee's that this is a fix.

12. greatone61

greatone61 Full Access Member

In Cam I trust lol! It may work it may not, it'll be cool to see what happens.

13. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER Moderator

This is true in most engines...I have seen many SC Viper engines bite the dust even with a low 5LB boost....Forging and supercharging should go together like cake & icing....

14. 1fastsedan

1fastsedan Destroyer of Warranties

Sorry Chris, that flat out sucks. Good luck with the replacement process. I hope you end up with a great engine out of the whole debacle.

15. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

damn chris, i am really sorry to hear this. can't believe after only 10 days after having the procharger installed. i know mine will go eventually as well, i am just hoping it sticks out until the funds for the forged motor come together!! lol

i will say this...... after the great thread tim (MrMoPar) started, i have purposely kept the car out of situations with 14.x a/f with boost present. either i step on the gas to kick it into open loop, or i just let off the pedal. that and i am using my meth system!!!! hopefully i can keep mine together for a few miles!

16. cvp33

cvp33 Full Access Member

False alarm fellas. Turns out the fuel fuse blew. Everything that happended mirrored what I'd heard from others describe with blown ringlands. Driving down the hwy at 60mph and decided to hit it. Rolled up to about 110mph and then let off. As I made my way into the right lane I heard a "pop" noise and then the check engine light came on. I coasted to a stop and tried to restart the car. It would stumble, but not start. I'm thinking for sure it blew the #1 ringland, banged the spark plug, etc. Had it towed to my tuner and they found the blown fuse immediately.

I apologize to anyone who saw my rant before I pulled it down. It had just happened and I had visions of replacing the motor.

17. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

Phew! Always sad to read about such experiences and glad this was a quick fix. :)

18. YoungMedic23

YoungMedic23 Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

LOL....dummy

J/K

Fuses blowing always throw people in a tizzy for such a small fix

Blew a fuse for my ignition...replaced it with what i thought was a spare fuse.....airbag light came on later....was about to pay $100 at a dealer when Sarge told me check the airbag fuses...DOH!!!

Glad everything is good!

Oh and the key for running blowers for a long time on a stock motor is a more than effficient cooling system...hence the blown chally on 15lbs of boost

19. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Well... that's good to hear! :yahoo:

Are you inspired to get an EGT gauge installed?

20. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

Yea but people like me and you cant help that