? about replacing weather stripping

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by durangatang, Aug 23, 2010.

1. durangatang

durangatang asphaultmeltingeuphoria

Has anybody ever replaced the weatherstrip on the doors? I'm looking to replace mine but don't really want to tear into it till I see one thats been done.

2. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Look into it in the service manual, i don't think you'll find much (in any) who have had to do this. Maybe check with Ernie at 402 Motoring...being a body shop, he's probably tackled it before.
    Why are you having to do this?

3. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Give Chris at Loids a call. I'm pretty sure Chris will give you good instructions?

If not, I can meet you there and MAKE him tell you. :)

4. durangatang

lol! maybe I'll order and get it in and then head down there.

5. durangatang

yeah there's nothing in my manual.

For some reason the drivers side door is showing a lot more sun damage then the rest of them. I mean like weather spots and corrosion of the rubber. Plus there was some damage on it from a previous impact with a rock that I've been wanting to replace.

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

You're not talking about weather stripping, you're talking about exterior trim? Weather stripping is that sponge/rubber gasket that keeps the rain out when you close the door. Only way a rock could get to the weather stripping is if you were driving in reverse with the doors open :)

7. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

That's why I was asking why he had to replace it...seemed odd.
    My windshield trim pieces looked like shit also...weather beaten, and scratches from neighbors cats. I was going to remove and paint, figured what the hell, if i mess them up i'll just buy new ones. But after trying to remove without breaking the tabs seemed impossible, i decided to paint while on the car. I first taped them off, then carefully sanded all the scratches out and finish with green scotch brite pads. Cleaned with alcohol, then used a few old bed sheets to cover the hood, top and rear to avoid over spray. Then used thick packing paper and painter tape to mask it off perfectly. Primed with a plastic adhesion primer, them painted with high temp (500 degree rated) engine block satin black...let dry for 24 hour in my shop, then another 8 hours in the sun the next day. Turned out fantastic! I've even run through the car wash a few times, and no problems. Looks like factory new.

8. durangatang

if all of them looked bad I might do that but since only one looks bad (plus damage) and the rest look like they're in pretty good shape, I figured I'd replace the one. I'm gonna go pick it up at lunch.

9. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

Good luck getting it off in one piece...lol.

10. durangatang

lol! exactly! ;) it looks like there is a bolt holding one end then clips in the middle maybe? gotta do some more research

11. durangatang

it was actually really easy! One screw in the back and slide the whole piece out of the door insert.

12. Quick

Kyle, did you take the screw out?

13. Dookie

Dookie Foe twenny sics

No. Didn't know their was one. We have to be talking about two different parts.
    I'm talking about the two strips on the passenger and drivers side of the windshield. They are black in color and seem to me that they just snap on with tabs. If thier is a screw on those it would have to be on the inside under the pillar. Which may very well be.

14. Quick

Mine constantly sort of work their way out just a little bit. Especially the lower half on the passenger side. Always just pushed it back down, never tried removing them.