6.1 Vortech S/C kit update...

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance Modifications' started by Stretch, May 25, 2008.

1. Stretch

Stretch Silver Supporting Members

S/C Question...

Question for all you Supercharger GooRoos...
    Is there any reason not to paint the front mounted heat exchanger/cooler for the Vortech (or any S/C set-up) say black? Is there an issue with cooling, paint clogging the breathing fins, etc? I am trying to keep the S/C "under wraps" as to not advertise it being on the car. If not, is there any special spray paint I should use, I'm guessing some type of hi-temp engine paint? Thanks in advance.

2. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

You are in luck! It comes black already and is very small so it isnt noticable anyway!

3. Stretch

Sweet! Thanks. Has anyone increased the size of these? I know the colder the better, but was just courious if a larger cooler would help any? Also, you guy's pully upgrade, can you use them on the Vortech system?

4. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

Stretch I am planning on doubling the size of my cooler in the future or just going air to air and being done with it.The cooler they supply with the GSM(is a vortech) and Vortech is to small to do any good IMO and I am mounting fans to it for extra cooling.

5. Stretch

Good point and good idea. Are you going to put a manual switch, or have the fans actumatically come on when the car starts up. Is there such a thing as "overkill" when it comes to cooling this area? I definitely will never do anything like a meth cooling system, but want to make it as efficient as possible.

6. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Drew, thanks for asking that question...

Now, I'd like to hear about your other question: the pulley... and what kind of gains could be expected? We're supposed to get 5.5 lbs boost from Vortech's install... isn't 6 lbs. safe too with stock internals?!?!

I also have another question! Vortech is tuning our cars using STOCK catalytic converters. I just bought (literally 2 weeks ago) the magnaflow hiflow cats.

Should I keep the stock cats on after vortech has tuned/dialed in my car OR re-install the Magnaflows? If I do reinstall the Magnaflows, would I need to get the car retuned?!?!

7. Stretch

I'm probably going to leave my hi-flows off for a while... kind of nice not having my check engine light off again...Lol! But... more than likely I will throw them back on after a while of getting used to the new power. I liked the louder sound with them on.

8. Hemi31

Hemi31 [email protected]

I am still not sure the intercooler is needed under 8 psi but I am running water/meth.I am also going to run 10 psi so I am keeping the cooler.We'll see how the water to air does with the fans on the main cooler.I am going to have the fans on a key on as well as switched circuit.I am also going to run the cooler pump on both switched and key on.That way in the staging lanes I can keep the water cool.

9. Stretch

Nice! Sounds like you have it all planned out. The S/C routine is all new to me. First car with one.

10. master_1011

master_1011 The Man.

To answer your original question, yes, you can paint intercoolers...

HOWEVER....you MUST use a special type of paint. Normal spray paint will reduce the cooling properties. But you can use 'radiator paint'. It has a high thermal transfer rate so it is good to use on intercoolers/radiators.

Just an FYI.....

11. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

As far as the stock intercooler goes...while it looks small it is MORE than sufficient for a stock setup...we are running the stock Vortech Intercooler right now on Lisa's (mustang) car and had no issue producing 700 RWHP in 100 degree heat :) Above 650-700 RWHP than the aftercooler becomes restrictive. However we will also be selling the Water Methanol Kits as an option for those that want additional cooling and I may be running one in addition to the Vortech Cooler.
    Here is some info on the various water meth systems http://www.bmcspeedshop.com/category_s/280.htm

As far as pulleys yes you will be able to swap to smaller pulleys for more boost later on assuming you build the motor to handle it. The S Trim Blower that comes in this package can produce up to 20 PSI w an Impeller speed of 50,000 max which can be achieved with a smaller pulley. The beauty of the Vortech setups is that the S Trim (which is the blower that comes in these systems) uses the same bracketry as T trim and other larger blowers that they make...so if you decide you need to upgrade in the future when you have a built motor you can do so very easily. That is a whole new conversation though lol. Lisa went from an S Trim and 400 RWHP to a T Trim and 700 RWHP, and now has a YSI ??? HP all using the same bracketry on her Mustang. Just one more reason we love Vortechs!

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  12. 0 60 gone

0 60 gone New Member

Find out more info about the methanol,you DONT WANT TO RUN TO COOL.That can cause some serious problems.

13. SRT8U

SRT8U Supporting Vendor

We have never had an issue in the many cars we have used Water/Meth on.

14. diegochrysler

diegochrysler Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Kris,

Thanks for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:friends:

15. diegochrysler

WHY HASN'T ANYONE ADDRESSED THIS YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T MAKE US SEND RICK OUT IN HIS APRON AGAIN, SO HELP ME I WILL:whistle:

16. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Yes, you could put the hi-flows back on and you should see an advantage.
    Yes, you should get your tune adjusted for the hi-flows.

Would you want to? maybe not. Assumably, your reason for the hi-flows is to add power. Better breathing, more power. If they can set the blower to give you whatever power you want up to where you'd have to build the motor with the stock cats on there, then why bother putting the hi-flows back on? Unless you really like the sound or looks or something.

17. diegochrysler

Dave, Thanks my friend. This is what I thought, but needed to hear it from someone that knows more about cars then me. This isn't very had, but none the less thanks..........................

18. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Haha, you believed that?:harhar:

I don't know. They might say something like "This blower will get you to 500. We recommend building the motor at 600. The next step up blower will make 700. If you add hi-flows with this blower you could expect 520". Momo should have this answer pretty soon right?

19. diegochrysler

DAMMIT DAVE!

I'm already confused enough! Now you are going to puck me all up:zorro: You are going to force me to get advice from RON! Now that is just down right "WRONG, but OH SO FUNNYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"

20. MotherMopar

MotherMopar The One, The Only... MOMO

Thanks Dave. I need to purchase some stock cats... I don't know if getting the car retuned after Vortech does it all for me is the smartest thing to do just for hiflow cats. Hey, Ralph, wanna sell me the cats you're letting me borrow?!?! LMAO!!!