2 Year Old Girl Killed By Burmese Python

Discussion in 'The SRTConnection Lounge' started by DragginWagon, Jul 1, 2009.

1. DragginWagon

DragginWagon Full Access Member

article found here... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31684161/ns/us_news-life/

If the child's death was caused by a dog, would they ban dogs? If the child's death was caused by one or both of the parents would they ban parents? I'm sure you all see what I'm getting at here, what they need to focus on is the irresponsible pet owner not the pet! If the death was caused by anything else there wouldn't be as much press about it! Why condemn an entire pet trade and millions of responsible pet owners because one bad apple?!?!?

Lets look at some statistics....
    this info can be found through the CDC, between 1979 and 1988 157 fatalities. 70% of them were children under 10. Of the 157 deaths 101 where breed was reported... 42 were pit bulls. next highest were german shepherds

In 2006, more than 31,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.
    while only "The Humane Society of the United States said including Wednesday’s death, at least 12 people have been killed in the U.S. by pet pythons since 1980, including five children." which seems safer to you?

also check out this article....http://www.anapsid.org/pdv-boid.html

2. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Agree'd, Jon.

There is SO MUCH more to the story you posted, that we can only speculate. For those who are unfamiliar with snakes, it would appear that Pythons are dangerous, when they really are not.

How much you want to bet that that Python has not eaten in at least 6 weeks? Maybe the owner put the snake in the childs room as a punishment for something? The questions are wide and pleantiful.

Very sad about the child.

3. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

dogs arent threatening an ecosystem though. florida has major issues with big snakes overrunning their everglades and many people are worried about them spreading to other states and killing off local wildlife there as well.

in all honesty, sure there are snakes that are fun to have as pets but these snakes pose a risk to our environment and i sure as hell dont want to be swimming in some fresh water lake or pond and have to worry about something that sure as hell shouldnt be there.

4. DragginWagon

I disagree, dogs do threaten ecosystems natural and man made ecosystems. Take a look at the history of Coyote's and Wolves when it comes to loss of habitat. Not to mention Feral or stray dogs. As far as pythons spreading further north, its not going to happen they can NOT survive in a colder climate. If you really want to get technical, the biggest danger to any ecosystem is Humans

turns out the snake was only 8 feet and malnurished.

5. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

dude, your argument doesnt make any sense. you should understand all too well living where you do.

feral or strays dont do anywhere near the harm to natural habitats that these large snakes do and will continue to do in the future. as far as colder climates are concerned, i agree but still that is a helluva lot of land to just give over to an invading species.

6. The "Reverend" CoolFlo

The "Reverend" CoolFlo 300C - C = Classy!!

good .. malnurished snakes eat kids ... good to know ..

Jon, I know you and many other sick fucks (lol) on this site are into snakes so I will not try to offend.

But doesnt it seem stupid to have an 8ft snake as a pet?? How about a 16ft 150 lb snake?? I have seen pet snakes .. THEY DONT DO ANYTHING!!! The coolest part of a snake is to watch it eat shit and from the sounds of it, the guy didnt even feed his .. so whats the point ..

I will say .. let it be a dog, snake, a gun, pills .. parents need to child proof EVERYTHING .. you need a fuckin license to own a gun .. you should be required to have a license to be a parent!

7. LegMaker

LegMaker LMI - LegMakerIntakes

a python is the least of your worries if you choose to partake in some of our local watering holes......:erm:

8. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

Steve, I think you have been believing the media. First off, the media should never be a source for factual information. lol Yes, Florida has a snake problem down in the Glades, I do not deny that. Problem IS the idiot owners who know NOTHING about snakes, therefore when a Burmese gets to the 10' mark and rats are no longer satisfying, most owners will dump them outside somewhere so they no longer have to care for them.

hmm I am pretty sure that Dog, cat, bird, rat, mice ( i think you get the point) that can no longer provide or lose interest in their pet, they dump them in the wild...

Please, how is this a particular species problem?

9. LegMaker

ron - pythons are not a problem in florida............ large gators, sharks, tourist...... now these are issues!!! lol

10. The "Reverend" CoolFlo

Steve .. Chris does have a point here ... I heard Florida watering holes are popular hangouts for homosexuals lol

11. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

I did not say Florida, rather one area in Florida, the Everglades. lol

12. LegMaker

Anthony - is that why you keeping asking me which are the biggest holes here in florida???? i will be sure to stay way from you in georgia!! dahahahahahaha

ron - i know what you said........... everyone thinks of florida as south beach and the glades anyway....lol

same way people not from cali think all cali people smoke dope and surf! lol right steve!!! dahahahahahah

13. The "Reverend" CoolFlo

ohhhh damn!!!! HAHAHA

14. DRKNE55

DRKNE55 The Badguy

http://www.nps.gov/ever/parknews/us...n-native-python-habitat-along-3-us-coasts.htm

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1264774/python_invaders_spreading_beyond_the_everglades/

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE54R6W320090528

thats just a top 3 post in google. this is a major issue, the problem is people arent really paying attention to it.

this is just the usgs, department of agriculture and the fish and game...i wouldnt really call that "the media". haha

dogs, cats and mice being released in the environment all have natural predators. a burmese python does not.

dude, why do you think i regularly frequent those spots?!!?!?

wrong, we surf, then smoke. surfing high fucks up your ability to stand on a moving surface.

15. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

As I said, I am not denying that there is a problem in the Glades, it is, but not to the extreme the media is leading you to believe.

The only source you linked "USGS" is half believable. The other two...

Redorbit is media. Source: The Miami Herald

Reuters... lol Self explanatory. Media!

16. LegMaker

my bad..... been out of cali for so long i forgot protocal......:whistle:

17. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

I think there's gotta be some kinda middle ground. Some way to protect snakes and idiot owners from well, idiot owners themselves. But again, there no licensing programs for parents and snake owners. Then again, given the "success" *har har* of the drivers licensing programs, I don't think that would make much difference either.

In this situation, you had a moron who obviously could barely deal with reptile ownership or parenthood and has now learned he can't do both the hard way. I just feel bad for the baby girl for dying so horribly and for the snake for being so hungry he went after a two year old.

18. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Apparently there are.

19. 8yourM5

8yourM5 Full Access Member

wow yea I would go after the owner if your goign to own big snakes you need to be responsible. My biggest fear si my female tiger retic will get out and eat my cat. Thats why the cage has 4 locks with keys

20. DragginWagon

Yes, I agree that the burmese are wreaking havoc on the everglades. Florida has tons of invasive animals and plants that hurt the ecosystem, and I think that the media's focus on snakes seems to make people forget that. Cuban tree frogs, parrots, cuban anoles, Brazilian pepper trees are just a couple of examples that come to mind (and humans, of course). I would like to see the media give more time to other invasive species. Reptiles in general are not socially accepted animals, and the misinformed majority of this country are taught at a young age that all reptiles are the personification of evil. I guess sensationalizing snakes sells more newspapers and gets more air time than pointing out to people that ALL invasive species need our immediate attention. Right now the government is doing their best to try and ban owning reptiles all together instead of enforcing laws currently in place. I just don't feel that would be an effective way to solve the everglades problem.

If you don't feed an animal enough what is it going to do? Get out and look for food, Doesn't matter what type of animal it is survival is survival. Snakes are nocturnal which is why you don't see them do anything during the day. 150 snake compared to a horse that weighs over 1000 lbs, a large dog up to 200 lbs.

Gators have jaw pressure, snakes do not.

Simple Ron because its a snake and people don't like snakes.

You got that right!

There is Tam Florida just inacted an new law requiring permits for the 5 species of snakes that get over 20 feet. Which I HIGHLY agree with but only in states where the animal could actually survive in the wild.