tie rods or nitto invos???????

Discussion in 'Rims and Tires' started by ALABAMA MSRT8, Jan 13, 2011.

1. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

i have an 06 msrt8 45k miles.i have about 15k miles on the nitto invos and the outside of the tires is going bald.i have the same size on all 4corners 245/45/20.i always have them rotated every 6k miles.when i had the EAGLE RSA i had zero issues of outer tires going bald.do the tie rods need replacing or do i need to go with a different brand of tire when the INVOS go bad?

2. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

1) Are they going bald evenly or is it sort of "scalloped"?
    2) By "outside" to you mean both outer edges are going bald and the center is ok or do you mean that the outside of the tire to the outside of the car is going bald and the outside of the tire to the inside of the car is ok.

If it's 1), scalloped then it could be due to tie rods or something else in the suspension being worn.
    If it's just the outside - outside of the tire and it's even then it's alignment.
    If it's both the outside - outside and the outside-inside then it's air pressure.

3. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

Its the INVO's....I was aware they are a softer tire but these things are borderline shot on my car at 10,000 miles.

I am getting NT05's for up front in the springtime.

And I have messed around to see if it was just improperly inflated causing the tire to wear but that doesnt seem to be it.

And my NT05's still look new in the back, and they dont always have the best traction lol

4. Quick

Yea, but I think he is implying that they are wearing unevenly, not just too soon.

Bad loose suspension/shocks could cause excessive, uneven wear.
    Bad alignment could cause excessive, uneven wear.
    Bad inflation pressure could cause excessive, uneven wear.

The patter of the excessive, uneven wear will identify the cause.
    If it's just the outside wearing evenly then it's going to be alignment. Could be something like too much toe in or positive camber, etc. If the outside is wearing unevenly like someone took an ice cream scoop to it then you should look for worn out suspension components as well.

In your case it might just be you ...ummm, ...errr, front loading the car lol.

5. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

I read what he wrote lol

I when I have my new tires put on, I will have them inspect the suspension and do an alignment.

20k on the car the suspension should still be OK, and I dont drive like rick either lol.

And front load my :moon:

6. Quick

Generally speaking a car won't go out of alignment from driving unless you hit something (including pot holes).

Our cars are hard enough to align to begin with (really hard to even get into the the factory specs) and then there are the usual hammer-and-chisel alignment machines. You know you're probably going to get a half decent alignment if the tech interviews you first.

How much do you weigh?
    Do you usually carry a passenger?
    Is the normal junk you usually carry with you in the car now?
    Would you like it biased more towards highway driving or twisties?

7. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

For me,

240lbs
    Rarely
    I carry tools to replace belts (just the specific wrenches) and the belts, some other basic tools, and that's it.

What I would say MAY give that argument some merit is the blower added like 100lbs to my car with all the stuff, but this began before the blower was added, they were noticeably wearing prior to the install.

Point is, if other tires arent bothered by this, why is it that these are?

8. Quick

Good question. The Invos should last longer than the NT05s but there is that front/back thing. You're going to like the NT05s better anyway.

(you didn't some extra special deal on those off the back of a truck in the supermarket parking lot did you? Check the sidewall and see if it says "inVa" instead of "Invo" lol)

9. StevoSRT

StevoSRT Moderator

hahaha...39.95 special

came from Discount Tire, get all my tires from there and so far so good on em all.

10. 1bad4dr

1bad4dr Mr. Meany

dahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

11. ChargerGirl

ChargerGirl Mama / DB Geek / Driver

My first time at Willow Springs, I noticed how the front tires would get worn down on the outside really fast, with little to no wear on the inside. One of the older gents who regularly drives different cars at the track suggested that if I normally romp on my car through tight turns (spirited driving he said), to see about having the alignment guys add a slight negative camber on the front tires the next time I got new ones or had them rotated and that this was pretty common with performance cars. I followed his advice and now the guys at Big O where I go always align my tires that way and no wear problems since. If its a squishy tire problem, well, the sticky tires mean better performance but shorter life span. You could just do like I did and get the cheapo truck tires and they'll last for years. :)

12. ALABAMA MSRT8

ALABAMA MSRT8 Full Access Member

thx evryone for the info.QUICK,u confused the hell out of me on that first post but the tires are going bald on the outside and the centers are in good shape.i keep 35psi in all tires.if u look at a brand new NITTO INVO tire,the outside tread is kinda thin compared to the center.maby ishould have gotten the INVA instead of INVOS.

13. Quick

Ok... I think you mean just the outside (towards the outside of the car). If it's evenly worn down and not "scalloped" then it's almost a sure bet it's alignment (toe and/or camber) and not worn suspension components. If it's unevenly worn (some sort of pattern) then it's likely worn suspension (tie rods, wheel balance -- probably not if both are worn, etc.)

haha, depends on terminology you use. If you're talking about inflation people usually refer to outside(s) and center. Alignment you need to differentiate between the "outsides". Like inner, center, outer.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011