Steering vibration

Discussion in 'Rims and Tires' started by orandaberg, Apr 30, 2010.

1. orandaberg

orandaberg New Member

Hi
    Here in Europe we can drive between 80 an 100 mph on the open freeway between countries, I have 20" nitto tires, I have a slight viration in the streering depending on the road surface, when I say vibration I means the steering wheel is slightly moving clockwise an counterclockwise in a rapid motion, nothing trastic just enough to see it and takes two hands to completly stop the movement, any ideas, seems the faster I go the more the vibration. Can't remember if I had this on my OEM tires an wheels. I have a 07, ball joints are solid OK and have pedders street suspension
    thanks

2. loxmith

loxmith Recovering Post Whore...

Have you had the balance on the tires checked? Maybe one or more of the tires are not correctly balanced? :dunno2:

3. orandaberg

orandaberg New Member

Thanks I'll check that

4. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

Start by getting your tires "road force" balanced. I think maybe it's only the high end Hunter equipment capable of doing that. At least that's what all the places that do it here use. If that doesn't do it then move on to a proper alignment. Again, with the high end Hunter equipment. The SRT8s are difficult to align.

But the first thing I'd do is go to your Pedders dealer/installer and tell them what you're experiencing.

(here in the US we drive between 80 and 100 mph between home and work :))

5. orandaberg

orandaberg New Member

Hi
    Whats road force balance? Hunter equipment? I see a lot of tire shops, I can ask but I need to know what I am asking for. I'll ask some proformance tire shop here but in Norway we are limited on things like you mention.

6. Quick

Quick Mgmt. - I can't help you

I'm guessing other makes of balancing equipment do this also but this is the prevalent make you find in shops here.
    something like this:

Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Measurement System

This system goes far beyond the traditional wheel balancer by measuring both radial and lateral tire forces. It detects radial force-related problems like tire uniformity, tire and rim runout, and wheel-to-balancer mounting errors, and has a road force measurement system, which simulates a road test to identify vibration and pull problems.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. orandaberg

orandaberg New Member

Thanks I'll look into this via my mechanic an see if they have have this,very doubtful here in Norway, main have to go to main land Europe.