Go Back   Dodge SRT Forum - SRTConnection > The Workshop > Diablosport Q&A

Diablosport Q&A

How To set fan controls for 180* and 170*

This is a discussion onHow To set fan controls for 180* and 170* within the Diablosport Q&A forums, part of the The Workshop category!
Originally Posted by Paxton The highspeed fan will run until the temp falls 8* below the temp setting. When I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mr. Meany

Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
The highspeed fan will run until the temp falls 8* below the temp setting. When I had my highspeed fan set to 194* it would run until the temp reached 186 then it turned off. I'm guessing the lowspeed fan would run the same way. DynoSteve just tuned my car so my fan settings are much lower than before. His reasoning...better to replace a fan motor than your engine itself. Steve's a cool guy!!!
lol Perfect analogy.
[CENTER]
1bad4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
The highspeed fan will run until the temp falls 8* below the temp setting. When I had my highspeed fan set to 194* it would run until the temp reached 186 then it turned off. I'm guessing the lowspeed fan would run the same way. DynoSteve just tuned my car so my fan settings are much lower than before. His reasoning...better to replace a fan motor than your engine itself. Steve's a cool guy!!!
Yea well i burnt out my cooling fans in my Chrysler with a Diablo tune and let me tell you it was NO walk in the park getting those fans at the dealer and replaced.....and the car was just as stationary as having a blown engine........

I guess i'll take my chances again
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Bud
GG EVO IX MR

Originally Posted by YoungMedic23 View Post
Yea well i burnt out my cooling fans in my Chrysler with a Diablo tune and let me tell you it was NO walk in the park getting those fans at the dealer and replaced.....and the car was just as stationary as having a blown engine........

Were you using the canned tune settings or did you lower the settings yourself?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Jose"GR8CHORIZO"Jalapeno

Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I swear your brain is growing right infront of me!

Paul answer the question bro or are you out doing your next badass video?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Mgmt. - I can't help you

Originally Posted by Bud View Post
It wouldn't really matter would it?
I have the impression that the fans are not made to run constantly.
You can hear the high speed fans. So what you need to do to check the low speed fan settings is let the car idle with the hood up. Stand up there and check to see if the low speed fans turn off periodically. If you run back and look at the EVIC real quick you can see the temps where they kick on and turn off.
Mopar Cat Back
Hotchkis Sways
185* T-stat
Custom tune
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Vortech 426 SRT8 Jeep Rollin

I lowered them myself to many guru's specs and they were NOWHERE NEAR as low as these settings are......

Mine are higher and SAFE now......like around 180,190,200 degrees cuz i don't want to risk FRYING the motors in hot weather which is what happened to my Chrysler.....

These engines were MADE to run hot...like 215.....and i do agree there is power to be salvaged with a cooler thermostat and manifold spacers but driving in traffic in 100 degree weather for hours with ur fans constantly running will only........

MELT UR FAN'S WIRING HARNESS AND FRY THE MOTOR AS IT DID MINE!

Last edited by YoungMedic23; 06-24-2008 at 09:39 AM.
YoungMedic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Good info thanks,Ron!
Kenne Bell 2.8L
10.64 @127.63 MPH
Built By BFNY Performance
jay2puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Addicted to speed

Originally Posted by YoungMedic23 View Post

I already lost the low-speed fan motor and fan itself and had it replaced a month or so ago. The low-speed fan cracked in half and apparently rubbed against the inside of the fan shroud and burnt out the motor. I'm not sure why the fan cracked in half and neither does the dealer...but hey, they covered it all under warranty.

06' Charger SRT8,options I,II and III,sunroof.
Southern Hotrod heads/custom cam,HHP/BES Intake,BT ported TB,Kooks LT's/midpipes,CMR dynotune by HHP,ProTorque 2800,Quaife LSD,3.23 gears,DSS axles,Diablo Predator,Corsa cat-back,Carbon Fiber Airhammer CAI,BT Polished Catch Can,Jet 180 tstat,Slotted Rotors(TSB),20% tint on rears 30% on fronts,Toyo Proxes 4's 275/40/20's all around and some BT goodies
451RWHP/439RWTQ
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Full Access Member

You guys need to consider that even if the fans run ALL the time, they should not just fail like that.
Chrysler tests these things in 100°+ weather all day, under abusive conditions to boot.
Considering they offer a 5 (10 year?) warranty on the fans, they have no desire to have them fail at ANY point, so they are tested to be able to run way more than they would ever need to in a vehicle.

My guess would be that any fan failures have not been a direct cause of the tunes, but rather a wiring issue, or somply a bad unit.

Thanks
Mike
Mike@Diablosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Mr. Meany

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
You guys need to consider that even if the fans run ALL the time, they should not just fail like that.
Chrysler tests these things in 100+ weather all day, under abusive conditions to boot.
Considering they offer a 5 (10 year?) warranty on the fans, they have no desire to have them fail at ANY point, so they are tested to be able to run way more than they would ever need to in a vehicle.

My guess would be that any fan failures have not been a direct cause of the tunes, but rather a wiring issue, or somply a bad unit.

Thanks
Mike
Absolutely correct Mike.

What I found was the original HS fan in my car was defective. Yes, it burnt out 1 1/2 years ago. Had it replaced and has worked fine ever since. And I still have my fan mod where i keep it on when parked at home (after hard driving) or at the track.

Thanks for chiming in.

Oh, no one has to use my settings. lol Just use the directions on how to program the desired fan temps.
[CENTER]
1bad4dr is offline   Reply With Quote