Go Back   Dodge SRT Forum - SRTConnection > SRT-8 & SRT-10 Topics > SRT-8 Dodge Challenger > General Discussion

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

General Discussion

Which challenger will handle bumpy roads the best?

This is a discussion onWhich challenger will handle bumpy roads the best? within the General Discussion forums, part of the SRT-8 Dodge Challenger category!
On public roads in the real world the pavement here is in need of repair. Not like a track. Will ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

stingray

Question Which challenger will handle bumpy roads the best?

On public roads in the real world the pavement here is in need of repair. Not like a track.
Will any of these models bottom out like in the hills of San Francisco?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-1970_Dodge_Challenger_RT_440_Six-Pack_engine.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Recovering Post Whore...

I've never driven the hills of San Fransisco, so I don't know the answer to that. I can tell you my SRT Neon on stock suspension handles the roads of Downtown ATL fine, except for have to get alignments every 6 months or so...Lifetime alignment plan FTW!!! Yeah, the roads of downtown ATL are that bad!
loxmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a Charger SRT8 and the only thing that scrapes on mine are my LT Headders. However I was pretty pleased with how it dealt with hills and speedbumps prior to the install. ***its not San Fran, but its far from "flat" around here***

I come from a SLAMMED mustang that I could barely get out of my driveway.

The challengers are probably fairly similar if they stick to stock ride height. A guy here at work has a R/T Classic and that looks like it has plenty of ground clearance.

Can you get one for a test drive or something to verify?

Mod List: BES/HHP Forged 9 to 1 Compression 6.1 HEMI w/ Stage 1 Cam, Vortech V3 T Trim S/C, Fuel System, Meth System, SHR Transmission, Autometer NV Gauges (Air/Fuel, Boost, Fuel Pressure, Trans Temp), BT 85mm TB, Kooks LT's, Kooks HF mids, 180* T Stat, Flowmaster Super 44's, ATI 17% Overdrive Dampener, ProTorque Converter, DSS 1000hp Halfshafts, NOS Spray Bar Radiator Cooler Corbeau Harnesses, CMR Tune...and more

StevoSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

stingray

Originally Posted by StevoSRT View Post
I have a Charger SRT8 and the only thing that scrapes on mine are my LT Headders. However I was pretty pleased with how it dealt with hills and speedbumps prior to the install. ***its not San Fran, but its far from "flat" around here***

I come from a SLAMMED mustang that I could barely get out of my driveway.

The challengers are probably fairly similar if they stick to stock ride height. A guy here at work has a R/T Classic and that looks like it has plenty of ground clearance.

Can you get one for a test drive or something to verify?
I know about those old Fox 5.0 Mustangs and the ride is just too stiff. I know the new ones have solid live rear axle too but they ride a little smoother but not as smooth as a Challenger. New 5.0 Mustangs are faster too and cost less but it is a smaller lighter car so that's where you loose the comfort.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I know about those old Fox 5.0 Mustangs and the ride is just too stiff. I know the new ones have solid live rear axle too but they ride a little smoother but not as smooth as a Challenger. New 5.0 Mustangs are faster too and cost less but it is a smaller lighter car so that's where you loose the comfort.
Yeah I had a Cobra R Replica (2000), that thing was....firm lol.

I havent driven a new Mustang yet. Maybe I can find a dealer that will let me test a GT500 if I show up in the Charger

Mod List: BES/HHP Forged 9 to 1 Compression 6.1 HEMI w/ Stage 1 Cam, Vortech V3 T Trim S/C, Fuel System, Meth System, SHR Transmission, Autometer NV Gauges (Air/Fuel, Boost, Fuel Pressure, Trans Temp), BT 85mm TB, Kooks LT's, Kooks HF mids, 180* T Stat, Flowmaster Super 44's, ATI 17% Overdrive Dampener, ProTorque Converter, DSS 1000hp Halfshafts, NOS Spray Bar Radiator Cooler Corbeau Harnesses, CMR Tune...and more

Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

stingray

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StevoSRT View Post
Yeah I had a Cobra R Replica (2000), that thing was....firm lol.

I havent driven a new Mustang yet. Maybe I can find a dealer that will let me test a GT500 if I show up in the Charger
I have driven a 2012 and a 2013 Mustang GT. Both were 6 spd. manuals but the 2012 had the track pack option with 3.73 rear end. That car was a screamer high rpm's. It wants to rev.
It has plenty of go and more than enough power. I could feel a little stiffness and bumps but it's a new car so I expect it will turn into a bumpy ride especially with that live rear end axle. The second Mustang GT I drove was a 2013 Mustang with the 3:31 rear end? Anyway not as powerful but the asking price was $38,000. I would opt for a new Mustang GT but I already have a 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 with 240,000+ MILES. I am original owner and ordered it from factory in 1987. The ride is terrible on this 1988 Mustang GT which is factory stock that is bustin me UP BIG TIME up on these terrible roads.
If I run over a snail I feel it. So enter the Dodge Challenger.

Get the new 5.0 Hurricane engine as it's a high rev motor if you want a Mustang or best bang for your $$$.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 346761591.jpg (53.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-86-03.jpg (76.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by stingray; 11-06-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the challenger would give the better ride. IRS and "less sporty" for the R/T's I think would provide the better ride. It is also a heavier car, which will help "smooth out" some of those bumps as well.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Queen's Queen

I would take a test drive - this is so freakin funny!! Gotta love it

Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

stingray

Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
I would take a test drive - this is so freakin funny!! Gotta love it

Test drive what? But it isn't a Challenger or Mustang in this test drive?
Consumer Reports just gave the Mustang GT a recommended rating.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think the best way to handle bumpy roads is to invest on high-performance shocks.
petesrt is offline   Reply With Quote