Go Back   Dodge SRT Forum - SRTConnection > SRT-8 & SRT-10 Topics > SRT-8 LX - Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300c, & Dodge Magnum > General Discussion

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

General Discussion

Brembo caliper clear coat delamination

This is a discussion onBrembo caliper clear coat delamination within the General Discussion forums, part of the SRT-8 LX - Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300c, & Dodge Magnum category!
Anyone had this problem?? I started a thread on 300cforums last week right before the SRT Engineer chat session and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brembo caliper clear coat delamination

Anyone had this problem??

I started a thread on 300cforums last week right before the SRT Engineer chat session and posted it there as well, but no answer from the engineers during that session.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt...amination.html

I was denied warranty by the dealer I took it to because from what I have gathered so far, the district/regional manager thought the pictures I sent looked like chemicals had been used on them.

Does anyone know any of the SRT engineers and talk to them on a regular basis. I don't feel like it is right that they have denied warranty on a non-consumable part of the car that is defective.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Beast: 95 "sunburnt" white 2500 Ram 4x4 Cummins (Last dyno: 376hp; 942ft-lb...at 200k miles)....as of 03/03/08 has carried me 300k miles.

Last edited by Scott_P; 04-23-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Scott_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

SRTFIED

Default Warranty

I suggest calling Chrysler corporate and filing a complaint. Emphasize that you've not treated the calipers with any chemicals and that it's delamination causing that appearance. Complain heavily about this being a warrantied part and ask them to send you to another dealership that will repair it under warranty. Ask them contact to call that dealership for you while you hold so you can make sure they have worked it out for you before you hang up.

I just had a major blow up with a Dodge dealership over warrantied parts on a Grand Cherokee SRT8 I had just purchased on 3/03/09. The DM was not much help, said it was a dealership issue ... I called Chrysler corporate and all resistance regarding the matter stopped and they fixed it all no further questions asked.

Hopefully that leverage works for you in this instance. Good luck!

'06 Brilliant Black 300c SRT8 fully loaded; Zoomers cat-back exhaust, Hennessey air intake, 180 degree Thermostat, Predator tune
KW v2 Suspension and Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Toyo Proxy ST II, Posi-quiet pads
402 Motoring Tinted Tails, GBC rear window spoiler, Aluminum SRT8 pedals, SRT8 floor mats, Billit pistol grip shifter #42, stainless steel door handles and post rockers, Valentine 1 highway patrol countermeasures
Reacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mr. Meany

Hey Scott,

I must say, after viewing your picture, it does look like some sort of chemical was used to keep the caliper clean.

However, since this is only in one area of the caliper, and only caliper is affected (I am assuming), Chrysler should at least take a physical look.

Good luck.
[CENTER]
1bad4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I called 800-992-1997 and talked to the customer service person there...is that what you are talking about?

I also called the dealer it was originally purchased at and they said to bring it by to let them look at, but no guarantees since another dealer was already involved.

Only problem is I am in Tulsa, OK and the original dealer is 100 miles away in Oklahoma City. And with 30,500 miles on the car I don,t want to drive it out of warranty. lol
Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

SRTFIED

Originally Posted by Scott_P View Post
I called 800-992-1997 and talked to the customer service person there...is that what you are talking about?
Yar. Well. Hopefully it works out.

Originally Posted by Scott_P View Post
Only problem is I am in Tulsa, OK and the original dealer is 100 miles away in Oklahoma City. And with 30,500 miles on the car I don,t want to drive it out of warranty. lol
Just drive it backwards when you're headed home!!

'06 Brilliant Black 300c SRT8 fully loaded; Zoomers cat-back exhaust, Hennessey air intake, 180 degree Thermostat, Predator tune
KW v2 Suspension and Coilovers, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Toyo Proxy ST II, Posi-quiet pads
402 Motoring Tinted Tails, GBC rear window spoiler, Aluminum SRT8 pedals, SRT8 floor mats, Billit pistol grip shifter #42, stainless steel door handles and post rockers, Valentine 1 highway patrol countermeasures
Reacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

no, all I have used is dawn dish soap 2x and the rest have been Meguiars car shampoo to clean with.

It is happening on 3 of the calipers, the 2 fronts started peeling from the base of the Torx head bolt, and the drivers rear has started peeling from the edge of one of the tapped holes.

more pictures are here:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s...bo%20Calipers/

The first 4 pictures are not of my calipers...another member sent me those to try and help, so I am not the first to have this happen.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Destroyer of Warranties

It looks like some of the brake fluid got on the caliper. It softens and discolors the powder coat like that. Good luck getting it covered.
"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." Han Solo - the future of Hot Rodding
1fastsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have had the car since it was nearly new...246 miles on it when I bought it, and nothing has ever been on the brake calipers other than soap, water, and road grime. I haven't even rotated my tires yet!
Granted the rears are quite bald now and I have 4 new Vreds to go on, but I am not going to do anything like that until I have this issue solved.

The Beast: 95 "sunburnt" white 2500 Ram 4x4 Cummins (Last dyno: 376hp; 942ft-lb...at 200k miles)....as of 03/03/08 has carried me 300k miles.