Go Back   Dodge SRT Forum - SRTConnection > Specialty Modern Mopars > GT Cruisers

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

GT Cruisers

Overheating crisis....please help!!!

This is a discussion onOverheating crisis....please help!!! within the GT Cruisers forums, part of the Specialty Modern Mopars category!
I am new to the site and turbo platform. My name is Rick and i own a 2004 pt/gt cruiser ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overheating crisis....please help!!!

I am new to the site and turbo platform. My name is Rick and i own a 2004 pt/gt cruiser 2.4t auto stick with every option available all the way down to heated and cooled seats....I've owned the car and love it for only about 2-3 weeks..it was my aunt's car and was very well maintained..it just turned 100,000 miles and started overheating when I'm sitting at a red light or parked...I can hear it gurgling in the firewall..I always shut it right off...but can anyone enlighten me to any extra precautions I should know before changing g the thermostat to a 170-180 degree fail safe thermostat?
I'm being told this platform requires a specific coolant...I will be checking out the other topics in the forums but any answers would be greatly appreciated...
Coler59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Getaway driver for hire

What you can do is make sure the fans are moving. i had them crap out on my neon and had to bypass the fan relay and run them straight off the battery and that worked until the fans completely gave out. Another thing you can do is make sure you have coolant in the car, next is change your thermostat. you can pick up a 180 deg T-stat for like $10
It may be that you just need to replace the water pump and while your in there the Timing belt. When i had my PT i had a 160 deg and paid $30 but that was 8 yrs ago. You can pick up coolant at the dealer or go to Napa and get G-05. Let us know what you try and if it works for you.
-Nev.

03 Neon SRT (SOLD) & 05 PT/GT HO (GONE)

93 Civic DX EG8
68 Mustang Coupe
03 Mazda6s Sport
09 Gladius SFV650
nevinsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

The cooling fan was replaced and fixed the issue..I also installed a new failsafe thermostat and did a complete coolant flush with all new fluids.
now that I can actually drive the pt I must say it's a lot of fun.....thanks for the help
Coler59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Getaway driver for hire

Good to hear! Glad you found and fixed the problem. Enjoy the car and happy Cruizin!!!

03 Neon SRT (SOLD) & 05 PT/GT HO (GONE)

93 Civic DX EG8
68 Mustang Coupe
03 Mazda6s Sport
09 Gladius SFV650
nevinsrt is offline   Reply With Quote